snorkeling

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snorkeling

We are going to Grand Cayman at the end of October on a cruise ship. But would prefer not to go on a snorkeling tour. Would like to go on our on. Like to snorkel right from shore. Is that West Bay Cemetery a good place? Does anyone know anything about Rackam's Pub?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:22 AM

There is a ladder into the water at Rackham's Pub. About 60-70 yards out is the wreck of the Cali. Good snorkel spot for sure, and it's right down town close to where you'll tender in.

Just south of town is Eden Rock dive shop, that also has a ladder into the water, and in my opinion, the best shore snorkel on the island by far.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Scott B,Can you tell me why it is so much better and how would I get there.Could we walk or would we have to get a taxi. Would just like to snorkel some and hang out. Do you live on the Island?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:19 PM

I'm not Scott, but we've ben to GC a number of times and I agree that Eden Rocks is the best shore snorkel--by far. We liked the cemetery also, and it's a much easier in and out, but it's considerably farther from where the cruise ship will be; you'd need to take a taxi. The nifty thing abt Eden Rocks is that the water you'll be swimming/floating in is wonderfully deep. There are all sorts of great rock formations and cool canyons and such (you'll see divers waaay down below you). And a great abundance and variety of fish. Even if the fish weren't there, we find the whole area fascinating and unusual (because of those great formations)
Note: We haven't been to Cayman in abt 6-7 years, so not sure how things are in those 2 spots these days.
Hope you have fun!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Smith's Cove is also a good place to go snorkeling and is not far from Georgetown heading towards the East End.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:40 PM

shamie,

No, I don't live on GC, but have been there twice, both for 10 day vacations.

My wife & I snorkel every minute we can on vacation, and to this day, haven't found any shore snorkel on (any) island that we like as much as Eden Rock.

You could probably walk to Eden Rock dive shop if you wanted, because it is very close to where you will come in from the ship. A taxi ride would be VERY short. It's really more of a snorkel spot, no beach or anything to hang at. poss has also given sound advice on Cemetary Reef which is on a gorgeous stretch of 7MB. A taxi ride would be a definite for here. My guess is you could easily do both during your stop.