Small hotels?? Some advice please

Oct 20th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Deborah

Small hotels?? Some advice please

Hello!
I am heading to Jamaica in April, staying 2 nights in Kingston, 4 in Ocho Rios, and 3 in Montego Bay (my father is travelling with me and grew up there). We have travelled together before and prefer to stay in smaller more authentic places. So far, I've noticed the Mayfair in Kingston, the Fisherman's Point in Ocho Rios, and not sure about Montego Bay - can anyone give me feedback on these and/or make other suggestions? Many thanks!

Oct 25th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Deborah

There must be somebody out there who hasn't stayed at an all-inclusive??? HELP!

Oct 25th, 2002, 11:29 AM
tivertonhouse

Cho, gal -- yuh glutton fi punishment!
After Kingston-Ochi-MoBay in a week --which is A LOT of road travelling,even for inveterate shunpikers -- you may want to splurge a bit your last nite or nites on island in MoBaywith a stay at the former Winston Churchill property called DRAMBUIE ESTATE (jamaicaescapes.com) at King's Gate,15 min west of MoBay. It's also 'real Jamaica', albeit stush. I'd also check out smaller places in the Buff and Annato Bay/Port Maria/Orcabessa area rather than staying in Ochi. For Kingston, you're on your own/careful, despite the fact your Dad is Jamaican-born ( maybe treat him with to a night
at Strawberry Hill at Irish Town in the mts above Kgton with incredible views ,good restaurant,spa -- yeah, it's a luxe place owned by Chris Blackwell but very much worth it, if only just once).

Oct 25th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Cary

Deborah; I wouldn't stay in a small hotel in Kinston. Too many gov't travel warnings and it can be dangerous. I would instead stay in Negril.

Oct 25th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Deborah

Dear dear dear Tivertonhouse!!
I LOVE YOU!!! How did you know that I'm a Chruchill nut!!! I have contacted Drambuie Estate and hope they are available - might even cancel Kingston to stay longer there!!!
THANK YOU!