Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Single Woman Staying in Tea House on VG. Should I Worry About Safety?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here ever stay in the coffee/tea house villas in Leverick Bay? They look to be at the remote end of the resort. They are also right on the beach. Should I be concerned about staying here since I am a single woman traveling alone?

Is it safe to walk around at night?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:28 AM

VG is a relatively safe island and crime is not a major issue. While no one can give you any guarantees those two villas are no more or no less safe than any other rental villas

You dan't say where you are from but I'd venture to say you'll be just as safe or even safer on VG than you are in your own home town.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Have you visited VG/Leverick Bay? If so, how was your vacation experience.

I live in a southeastern, PA suburb and I feel very safe walking around at night. My concern for staying in these villas in VG is because a single woman traveling alone does draw attention. I don't want to invite trouble by staying someplace that might make me an easy target.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM

Marlene, I just got back from VG, and have considered staying at Coffee or Tea before, but stayed at Guavaberry this time. Been to the BVIs many times as a solo female traveller, and have been quite safe. You should be fine. I do recommend (Duh) using common sense, ie, don't tell any man who inquires what villa you're staying in, and lock your doors when you go out and at night (I'm assuming you'll have a key!)You should be fine walking around during the day. If I recall correctly, there's not too much to walk to a night in that area. Have a lovely time!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Seasweetie. Yes. I am very safety conscious when travelling, lock my doors, don't invite strangers in etc. I was more concerned with break-ins especially if someone noticed my comings and goings alone. I usually don't leave my hotel room at night but thought I would maybe rent a car or scooter in case I wanted to go over to the restaurant at Leverick Bay.

Were you alone on this latest trip?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:01 PM

I would think you'd be as safe traveling solo to Virgin Gorda as you would be traveling solo just about anywhere in the world. It's a sleepy little islanad that I fell in love with on my first visit. I'd love to take a page out of your book and travel there solo one day!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

I visited the Baths at VG once before but I was with my family and I agree it is a beautiful and sleepy little place. I have traveled alone before but always stayed in a hotel so staying in a villa would be new for me.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

I heard VG is one of the best places to go scuba diving. This is why I want to go back.