solo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solo

I am a 62 year old male and want to go solo to Cairo.

Would i be safe in a city like Cairo?
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM

As safe any anywhere else! It's a big crowded city.
Just don't leave your common sense at home.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Agree with Sandi, you should be fine. Just split your money around your pockets and then if in shops etc people dont see you pulling out a load of notes - unless they are the small ones.

other than that I dont think you would have ANY problems at all.

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks girls.

I think that i'm being put-off somewhat by reading virtual tourist.....
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

..... I've been reading conflicting reports from people on vt as regards the hassle from hawkers,street vendors etc.Plus the antics of petty thieves waiting to pounce on the lone tourist,especially in a place like Cairo.But,i suppose this can happen anywhere.I'm a seasoned tourist,and i'm aware of the challenges which sometimes face all of who travel.I think it's a case of just applying a bit of common sense and being vigilant at all times.Thanks again girls for you comments.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 05:44 AM

You are almost always more of a "target" if you are alone rather than in a group. I would suggest going with a group through a reputale tour company. You can book as a single and have your own room to yourself but still travel in the safety of being with experienced local tour guides and travelling with other people. Contact me privately, if you'd like help with suggestions.

Julie Roggow (just do a search for my name on the internet)
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 06:02 AM

Admittedly, Egypt/Cairo does have some more insistent touts, but a firm Lo Shukran (no thanks) should do it. Or simply ignore them. But, I've found those in Turkey and Southeast Asia to be just as annoying... the bane of travelers at many destinations.

As scotsgirl, just don't flash the cash, wear good jewelry (don't think that's your concern ), have a large camera hanging off your neck (a small pocket inexpensive camera will serve just as well when in the crowded Bazaar). You'll be fine.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Ladies for you help,it's appreciated.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

....that's ok Sandi,i don't wear jewellery,and i've only got a Kodak browie...lol

only joking my dear.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM

I have a Brownie (from the 40s) as a hand-me-down from my dad! It's so cute! He also gave me one of those Minox "spy" cameras. These sit on the shelf with every other camera I've had since the 60s. They both get lots of comments!
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM

Compared with a number of large European and Latin American cities I've visited (and New York City in the early 90s), Egypt generally felt much safer (in terms of the risk of theft and violence). I was just there last week.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM

Oops - I pressed send too soon. I also wanted to mention that, of all the places I've travelled, Egypt had the most consistently warm and friendly people I've ever encountered.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM

Hi Solo

I found that just by saying La La LA LA LA!!! in a stronger accent than the first LA did the trick. Although once it was necessary to say no in my native tongue (Glaswegian - Glasgow) it did begin with F and end in Off and I found that worked just as well haha!! Just dont show fear

On the brownie, well as it is a collectors item I wouldnt show that off either . I dont have a brownie - but I was a brownie (like a girl guide) of course I didnt learn my Glaswegian no there! but I did learn how to take people across roads - but I wouldnt advise letting me take you across a road in Cairo - unless your fast on your feet

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 06:01 PM

sorry i should have said Hi Mahler77 lol

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi scotsgirl,

The old soldiers'farewell works then does it? i'll have to remember that.lol.

I use the name mahler ,because mahler's music has been the love of my life since my teenage years.

Every summer,i go to vienna to visit his grave at gringzing friedhof.My friends think i'm crazy.

thanks scotsgirl.love your sense of humour.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi Frogoutofwater,thanks for your reply.

I found things are a lot better in New York nowadays.I was there in march 07 and april 08.Never had a problem at all,and never felt threatened.However,i did stick firmly to the well trodden tourist tracks.

Sad to say, i've never been to south america,so i can't offer any personal comment.

I've been to all the major European capitals,and again,never experienced a problem,perhaps i've been lucky.I did however have a bit of bother with a beggar in Madrid a few years ago when he insisted that i give him two cigarettes and not one.An altercation ensued which attracted quite an audience.In the end,he walked away moaning with his one cigarette....
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi sandi,

I too had my brownie in the 60's,i was only joking above btw...lol

Actually sandi, i'm quite a lousy photographer to be honest,absolutely cretinous in fact.i never get it right.I've taken many a useless picture in my time.I'm too embarrassed to go into detail.My brain never seems to be in synch with the press button....and like your cameras,my pictures get lots of comments.

best wishes sandi
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi Roggow,

Thank you for your offer of help.

Actually roggow, i prefer to go solo,for the most part anyway.Sorry if that sounds a bit antisocial,it isn't meant to be...sincerely.I will certainly keep your offer in mind.Thanks again.

best wishes mahler77.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

I know i'm being a pain,but one last question please.

How far is it from the entrance/ticket gate to be alongside the pyramids? Do i walk or ride? I must admit that i'm reluctant to hire one of they desert contraptions.They must stink to high heaven,both front and rear......and from what i've seen on VT the horses don't look suitable either.Most of them look older than me.WALK IT????
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM

mahler -

I'm not the best photographer, but must say with the new digital cameras, I surprise myself with some pretty decent pics. You'll do just fine.

For getting around Cairo - the Pyramids, Sphinx, Bazaar, Museum, to name a few - you can arrange with your hotel (their Tour Desk) for a guide/driver. Split up your time, Day 1 for Pyramids & Giza and maybe Memphis and Saqqara; Day 2 for the Museum and Bazaar.

Or you can contact Debbie Senters, a regular poster here with Casual Cairo... who gets great reviews from those who have used her services. Her email is: [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -