Search

Side Trips from Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Trips from Aruba

I'm going to Aruba in October. Are there any side trips that will take you to the South American Mainland? Venezuala, in particular?
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:01 PM

You probably could but why? Venezuela is pretty unsafe. My travel agent once had about 6 hrs. in the airport in Venez. and was tols by a soldier "armed to the teeth" to stay in the airport. How about a side trip to Curacao or Bonaire instead?
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:22 PM

Well, I'd also say to forget about the Venezuela side trip, but not because some friend-of-a-friend-met-a-soldier...

I'd recommend against it because it's a royal pain in the a** to make the trip work, and it's expensive to boot.

Air Aruba *used* to make this an easy and affordable ($100) jaunt. No more. There's now just one flight a day from Aruba to Caracas, and it doesn't even fly two days a week. It's an Aeropostal flight that leaves at 5pm, getting you into Caracas a little before 6. By the time you clear customs, deal with the wiggliness of the airport, catch the bus into downtown, etc. You're looking at easily 7pm or later -- no time for sightseeing. You'd have to stay at least 2 nights because the return flight to Aruba leaves at noon (again, when it flies, because it's not every day).

The prices are prohibitive. Aeropostal's going fare is US$400 RT. For a 40 minute short hop! Ridiculous? Oh yes. It *is* possible to sometimes find the tickets for less, but generally only if you are in Caracas -- I guarantee you, you won't be able to buy the ticket cheaply if you're in the U.S. or Aruba.

Yes, Bonaire and Curacao would be easier day trips. So would Bogota for that matter (if you're not worried about getting kidnapped by FARC rebels ;-)

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Reason for wanting the trip is kind of silly: just wanted to be able to say I'd been to S.America and Venz. Not worth big bucks or time. It's only 20 miles, so I was hoping maybe there was a ferry or similar that would take you to a coastal town for the afternoon or similar. Oh well.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:43 AM

Its not just "a friend of a friend" thing. And it was not a friend it was a travel agent! You should read CAREFULLY. In case you have not noticed there has been alot of political trouble there recently and travel warnings have been in effect even before this due to high crime.