Search

Sharks in Caribbean???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Missy

Sharks in Caribbean???

I have a shark phobia and I love the beach and swimming. I have been reading and hearing about all the shark attacks on the east coast and how more than half of the shark attacks happen florida. My question is "how much of a chance of a shark attack is there in the Caribbean?" I remember reading somewhere a while back that the last shark attack in Jamaica was in 1930 - is this true???

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Penney

I have been going to the Caribbean since I was small and never heard of an encounter with sharks until this past summer with the instances in the Bahamas. They are there but attacts are very rare. <BR> <BR>If nothing else, the water is clearer so you should see them! <BR> <BR>Maybe some months would produce a higher population due to warmer waters?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Sam

The Ihilani Resort & Spa in Hawaii (Oahu) has a netted lagoon. <BR> <BR>http://www.ihilani.com <BR> <BR>Have you considered it? <BR> <BR>Is there anywhere in the Caribbean that has something similar? <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Paul

I'm pretty sure there was a serious shark attack on a tourist in the Caribbean - unfortunately I can't remember which island - maybe the Bahamas? - just a week or two ago.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Armando

Last time there was a shark incident in Puerto Rico was in 1924. That's remarkable considering the island have 4 million beach loving residents plus all the tourist etc.. In addition, many of the beaches are in half moon or coves protected by a reef. The beach at the Hyatt Dorado Beach Resort is completely protected by boulders placed by the Rockefellers thus creating a huge pond type beach.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Tasha

A great website with lots of stats, like who, what, when, what were they doing & wearing at the time of a shark attack is: <BR>http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/ISAF/ISAF.htm <BR>(International Shark Attack File) <BR> <BR>Helps put things in perspective!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Barbara

There was a shark attack in the bahamas, but the bahamas is not the caribbean. It is close to Florida where most of the shark attacks have taken place <BR>I live on the island of St. Maarten..have been here for over 25 years. There has never been a shark attack here or in any of the close by islands in all that time, as far as I know <BR>The water here is very clear with a gentle surf. you can see everything under water. In the surf of the East Coast, it is often murky water with high surf stirring up the sand,etc. I believe that is part of the reason there are more shark attacks there <BR>The Caribbean waters definitely seem to be safer, whatever the reason

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Cheri

Attn: Penney <BR> <BR>A secretary in my husband's office was attacked by a shark last week on Anna Maria Island in Florida. From her husband's and her description, it probably wouldn't have mattered how clear the water was. She didn't see the shark coming but her husband did and he said it "swam up like a torpedo". The whole incident happened very quickly. Luckily, she's okay. She needed 75 stitches in her arm though.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:07 PM
penny

I am not happy about all this shark activity. Just read last week about 4 sharks in Horseshoe Beach in Bermuda, no attacks, but the swimmers and a snorkeler were in the water. The Bermuda Gazette said they swam not far from beach in shallow water. Lifeguards got everyone out of the water. Now my shark phobia is BACK!! <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Missy

Is it true that the sharks tend to stay behind the reefs in the Caribbean and that is one reason that you don't have to worry as much? What about if I go snorkeling - which I really want to do -would I be safe with a group of people? What if one of them is menstruating or something?!? These recent attacks are doing nothing for my shark phobia!! When you go snorkeling, are you in front or do they take you behind the reefs??? While I am at it, I also wondered about things I have read regarding the reefs - people saying to not stick your hands there and to not break a piece off it, etc. I am afraid that I will literally run into it and cut myself all up. Do you usually snorkel right at the reefs????