September 9th til 13th? Where to go?

Aug 27th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

September 9th til 13th? Where to go?

We want to book something asap. Where would you go for that time period? We will fly from Raleigh Durham.

Aug 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM

you could go to kingston, jamaica on aa at 7:20am arrive 11:35am for $354.
tons to do. lodging in every price range.
or the bahamas would be nice this time of year.
Aug 27th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Is Atlantis all inclusive or can you book it that way?
Aug 28th, 2007, 03:25 AM

well i tried to find this out for you. the site is hard to negotiate at first. site map ='s menu.
anyway it seems like they are not ai but do have map.
i discovered that in addition to the room rates they chg a $45 "additional chg" per person. plus total taxing of 9% plus $6 utility fee per person per night. pluuuuuus between $4-$10 per night per person housekeeping fee. pluuus $7.50 per person bellman fee and $1.50 per person per night pool attendant/lifegaurd fee. all i can say is wow. i've never stayed anywhere where they require a set maids tip or heard of tipping the lifegaurd.
here's a link to their dining info page: http://www.atlantis.com/flash.aspx
Aug 28th, 2007, 05:56 AM

I wouldn't do all inclusive at Atlantis anyway-food is like amusment park food, and way expensive. I would walk across the street to Anthony's Grill for all my meals.

You can go almost anywhere, why don't you state your tastes or what you are looking for, to better help you?
Aug 28th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Well, let's see I want beach and pool. Good ones. My husband will want to drink. I can't. I am pregnant. Good food and I dn't want to have to think too much about where to go to find it.

Maybe golf lessons. But, not a must.
Aug 28th, 2007, 07:28 AM

If you go to the Atlantis and want the Meal plan, go the gourmet meal plan route. It has to be booked prior to arrival. We did this meal plan and the food was excellent. We dined with family who did the lower end meal plan, and it was all buffets and the food was very mediocre.
I liked having the meal plan because it made it easy to go and order whatever. Everything is included soup to nuts. No drinks.
I went 2 years ago and the restaurants we liked were the Bahamian club (steaks) and the Villa D Este (italian). Both restaurants were there 20 years ago when we were on our honeymoon when it was Merv Griffin's resort
I have heard the Ocean Club's restaurant is excellent as well.
Aug 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM

I seem to be always suggesting Turks & Caicos (Provo) but it's an easy flight from the East Coast and it's beautiful.

http://www.expedia.com

Expedia has some available I think
Aug 28th, 2007, 01:36 PM

I'd suggest checking the www.libertytravel.com website for last minute trip ideas. Also check your passport and make sure it is up to date, as passports are needed now.
Aug 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
KVR

Also consider that Sept/Oct is main hurricane season. Luckily, Dean didn't due too much damage, but you never know when another hurricane will be brewing.

Atlantis is like an amusement park. Lots of tourists and children running around. They offer a meal paln, but it does not include drinks. We thought it was very expensive and we stayed at the Sandals Royal Bahamain (expensive also, though full AI) and just did a day trip to the Atlantis to see the aquarium and Digs. You can choose to stay at the Comfort Suites next door and they allow access to all the Atlantis' pools and other amentities. We went to Nassau in Sept '03 and barely missed Hurricane Fabian.

For this time of year, look at Aruba or Curacao. We went to Aruba in Sept. 06. Loved it. Even though many people complain it's "too commericalized" or "Americanized". Whatever. We stayed on Palm Beach at the Holdiay Inn on thier AI plan. Lots of things to do within walking distance. Including shopping, bars, shows, watersports and dining. The bus to downtown is easy access and cheap. If you want something more secluded, look at the resorts on Eagle Beach. A little more quieter.

We are leaving for Playa del Carmen this weekend. Again, we barely missed Hurricane Dean. We chose the Royal Playa del Carmen due to it's fab amentities and decent price compared to other resorts that offer the same type of amentities. Whatever destination you choose get full insurance in which you can cancel for any reason.

Also, be aware that some airlines won't accept travel out of the country if your in your third tri-mester. (you didn't indicate). I would definatley check with a travel agent.

We're researching Curacao for next year.
Aug 30th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Curacao has some fun things that you might enjoy. The Seaquarium is most definitely worth a visit. There are many very large fish (puffers, tarpon, jacks, stingrays, giant grouper and sharks (nurse and lemon). There are also turtles. You can take an East and West Island tour. Taber Tours does a full day tour at a cost of approximately $40 + $5 for hotel pick-up. They pick you up at your hotel early in the morning and return about 4pm. The tour includes a lunch stop at Jaanchie’s. They also do a lot of other tours, such as a combination hato cave and the seaquarium, etc.
Since you asked about an AI plan, the Marriott does offer one. The restaurants are good. The Portofino had excellent food, service, and desserts. Big beach and wonderful pool area. Very nice bar down by the beach that at night always has some kind of music.

Aug 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM
KVR

Knowing, do you know a travel site that offers the Marriott with an AI plan? I've searched and can not find where they have a full AI plan. I've only found a food and drink credit. $100 p/p for a 7 night stay.
Aug 31st, 2007, 05:58 AM

KVR: Try typing Marriott Escapes in your yahoo or google.
I believe that is what their all inclusive plan is called.
Good luck!
Aug 31st, 2007, 06:12 AM

I find them directly on the Marriott.com site. Hotels that offer them will have the prices under the "Available Packages" option. It prices for me so give it a try.
Aug 31st, 2007, 08:08 AM

K-
Looks like you already have your answer. We didn't do the AI there, but we were there with friends who did who were trying to save money. They were happy. Hope it works out for you!