Search

Seeking Pink Sand

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Pink Sand

Attention world travelers: If I were looking for the most beautiful pinkish sand/gin clear impossibly turquoise palm fringed beach....what would be your favorite and why?<BR><BR>Bermuda's Elbow Beach and the tiny Horseshoe Cove fit the bill, unfortunately, March is the only time we can travel, and it's still cool in Bermuda then. We find St. John's beaches spectacular, but we know that island pretty well and would like to try something new. There is something so surreal about Bermuda's pinkish beaches, and I'm wondering if there is another island that compares. Would Harbour Island fit the bill, or would it be a disappointment after the other 2? What about Barbados? Anguilla? New Zealand? I appreciate any advice in advance.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 04:46 AM

I have to agree with you, that Bermuda has the best beaches. We also enjoy<BR>St. John, and its beaches, love the snorkeling. So, our orginal quest was looking for something like Bermuda. I enjoyed Barbados, but its St. James coast is fun, and a bit busy for me, jet skis, vendors, although there are some areas that can be secluded. If you love the beach, then head to Anguilla. One wonderful beach after another. Its not full of flora and fauna, nor the beautiful homes like Bermuda, but it is very easy to get around, nice little open air restaurants, lovely people, and interesting hotels. Have not been to Harbour Island, it might fit the bill too!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Such a nice reply Penny, Thanks! Anguilla is high on our list, I think the traffic on Barbados might be a slight turn-off, though I sure would love to people watch at Sandy lane!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:44 AM

Eleuthera and Harbour Island are definitely pink sand destinations, but you won't find much in the way of palm trees, since the more native vegetation is scrubby and piny. Nevertheless, the first time I laid eyes on that Eleuthera sand, I was in awe ... not only of the sand, but of the fact that the beach stretched on for miles and miles, without a soul in sight. The beaches of the Abacos are also pink-tinged, though not as dramatically so as Eleuthera.<BR><BR>Nevertheless, if you are looking for HOT weather, the Bahamas may or may not deliver in March. Our March/April visits have been marked by cold fronts passing through, leaving at least a day or two of chilly weather and uncomfortable swimming. You may have to settle for the white or golden or pearl-gray sanded islands of the Caribbean proper (as opposed to the Bahamas and T&amp;C, which are technically in the Atlantic) to get the warmth you seek.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:51 AM

Harbour Island in Eleuthera is one of the most beautiful beaches! Yes, pink sand!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:12 PM

If your trip is late March, the weather should be pretty nice and the water is certainly clear, so clear in fact that as you land at the airport you can watch the fish swimming in the water. You can see all the way to the bottom, it's so crystal clear.<BR><BR>I can recommend a couple of places to stay on Eleuthera and Harbour Island that you might want to check into. Try Coco Di Mama (www.cocodimama.com) on Eleuthera a short drive from Govenours Harbour and right on the water. Small resort only 12 rooms and an excellent restaurant on site.<BR><BR>On Harbour Island, try Runway Hill (www.runawayhill.com) Coral Sands (www.coralsands.com0 and Romora Bay (www.romorabay.com).<BR><BR>There is a website to get more info on N. Eleuthera and Harbour Island at www.briland.com.<BR><BR>Harbour Island is not the sleepy little island of a few years ago, it has been discovered, several celebs now own homes on island and during the high season including March it is pretty busy, lots of night life and a bit of shopping. There are 2 dive shops on island for snorkle and dive trips and fishing charters.<BR><BR>Hope this helps, let me know if you need any other info.<BR><BR>I would book asap as high season gets full really quickly.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:28 PM

I went to Eluethra 7 years ago and still dream about the beaches. AMAZING
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:36 PM

correct the spelling on my last reply -Eleuthera. It's late, I'm sleepy and in need of a serious Carribean vaca!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the generous replies and great resource web sites. I am having a ball just looking at the pictures. I'm going to do some further investigation on average March temps on Harbour Island. I know it can be a gamble, but honestly, is it gorgeous or what?!?! We'd be going from March 6-21,2004. The kids would also love to spend a night or two at Atlantis.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:10 PM

Pinky,<BR><BR>The kids will LOVE the Atlantis and have something to talk about and remember that vacation forever. Atlantis is amazing.<BR><BR>From there go over to Harbour Island and I would stay either at Coral Sands or Romora Bay, but I think Romora Bay would probably suit your needs a bit better. Each accomodation there is a lovely villa, overlooking the harbour side of the island. There is a beautiful pool, game room/public area and beautifully landscaped. It is also close to Tingam Village which is where the kids will want to eat lunch everyday, the hamburgers there are the best!!<BR><BR>Harbour Island is very laid back and safe, your kids will be able to run around and you won't have to worry.<BR><BR>Lots of good restaurants on island, a few shops, pizza place, a couple of places for ice cream and of course Angela's for Bahamian food and the conch fritters there are the best.<BR><BR>Try the www.briland.com site for more info on the island.<BR><BR>Make reservations asap, since you are talking about the high season. <BR><BR>Have a GREAT time.<BR>
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:56 PM

Pinky--- St.Lucia also has pink sand!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:52 PM
me

Barbuda (small island close to Antigua), certain parts of Barbados , and some parts of Punta Cana-DR also have pink sand.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:59 AM

Andy-Where is the pink sand on this volcanic island? Lots of imported white sand at Jalousie, black sand as you go into the water, that feels like silk.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:08 AM
me

Andy might have been talking about Reduit beach in St.Lucia ,to me it's more like a pale champaigne color rather than pink ,beautiful beach though !
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Just out of curiosity, which beaches on Barbados are pink? I do like the sound of the Holetown area.