Secrets Punta Cana Vs. Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for somebody who may have stayed at both of these resorts and can offer a comparison. Looks like Royal Hideaway is a bit more upscale, but the Secrets Excellence looks pretty nice too (and isn't quite as expensive). Any thoughts/preferences?

Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:36 PM

Hi..I havent visited Punta Canta but we did stay at the RH the last weekend in May.I really enjoyed it..and I am not a fan of AI's.It is upscale for an AI.. we actually had good food...fabulous breakfast.The rooms could use a bit more of a luxe touch..but hey you're in Mexico.I have not heard great things about Punta ...in Playa del Carmen there are lots of funky cool streetside bars and cafes..guess it just depends on what you want .
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:19 PM

I just received an e-mail from Apple Vacations about Secrets Riveria Cancun which will be opening in October, 2003. They are pricey though but check out the webside secretsresorts.com and click on Riviera Cancun. Looks really nice. So, our dilemma is this for the last week of January, 2004. Royal Hideaway (never been) or Secrets Riviera Cancun. Both are just a few minutes from Playa del Carmen. I'll check back to see what others post. Where are you flying from and when?
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

We're flying from the DC metro area, and we're looking at either mid-November or sometime in January. Thanks for the info about Secrets Riviera... I'll have to check it out!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:16 PM

I stayed at Secrets excellence last December. I thought our room was nice (ocean view-request an upper floor) the restaurants were very good. the people were great. My only complaint was the mosquitos. The resort is very nice. I was in Playa Del Carmen a year earlier and stayed next to the Royal Hideaway. It looked really nice. The water is calmer in Playa but I thought the Beach at Secrets was less crowded and nicer. There is probably more to do at night in downtown Playa. I prefer Punta Cana over Playa Del Carmen overall. I have been to to both twice and I am not crazy about Mexico. I feel that the people in Playa are nicer and more accomodating. I hope this helps. Have a great time!