Secret Harbor Resort- St. Thomas

Aug 27th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Secret Harbor Resort- St. Thomas

Can anyone give any input about this resort?
We like low key yet resort amenities all the way. Is it right on the beach? Is the beach nice? How are the pools? Any other info would be great?
Thanks!
Aug 27th, 2003, 10:32 AM

I am looking at staying there also so any feedback would be great.

Take a look at their website...

http://www.secretharbourvi.com/index.html
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks..I looked at there website...I just want to make sure it is as good as it looks. I have had that problem in the past. I have stayed at The Marriot Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Resort in St. Thomas before and liked it alot, we were just lookinf for somthing more quaint and closer to Red Hook which is great!!!
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:50 AM

They appear to be booking up fast.
I e-mailed them today about staying in November for a few nights and they had no availability.

I did a lot of research on them and found quite a lot of favorable comments.

It does look nice!
Aug 29th, 2003, 09:10 AM
wt

We just came from there and we're just so glad we picked Secret Harbour. The setting is gentle and therapeutic. It's in a secluded cove rimmed by hills (of course, being St. Thomas, there are houses on the hills). Lovely grounds with lots of flowers. Plenty of shade or sun, whichever you prefer. I would definitely pick an 'oceanfront' room, instead of 'oceanview', which are up on the hillside. Oceanfront is right there by the water. Pool is up the hill with the oceanview rooms. Nice view from there.
Rooms are a bit spare by U.S. standards (no carpeting, rattan furniture) but spotlessly clean and well-housekeeped. Plumbing was a bit trickly, but who knows, maybe the whole island is that way.
Onsite restaurant is one of the best on the island. Red Hook (for supermarket or shopping or ferry excursions) is just over the hill, although the ride will cost you $4 p/p in a taxi. No sane person would walk or ride a bike - roads are too thin & no sidewalks. Cars drive on the left (as in England), and I would hesitate before trying that, too.
Staff was helpful with our requests, though sort of, well, 'introverted' is the only way I can describe it. No real complaints there, however.
Enclosed setting with shallow gentle water and some shady spots right by the water, makes this an ideal location for small kids, too.
Aug 29th, 2003, 05:53 PM

We stayed there this past summer. It is on a secluded cove, most days we were on the beach with 4 or 5 people, if that, which we loved.

Don't expect amenities. It is clean, cool, and low key. Our studio room (411) was 10 footsteps from the beach. There are hammocks on the beach and it was relaxing to lie in one at night after dinner...very safe and quiet. We have snorkeled many times in many places and found that the snorkeling right off the beach there was enjoyable. We saw two sea turtles, numerous fish, and a sting ray. There is an anchored platform that you can swim or snorkel to and sun yourself or use for diving. The beach has sunny and shady areas so you can stay out all day and enjoy.

As for the one pool, you will cross the small parking lot and climb some stairs to reach it. No one was in the pool when we were there, and it affords a nice view of the Caribbean sea. It was not fancy, but was clean, clear, and quiet.

One of the things we enjoy most about vacations are great meals. The restaurant there (The Blue Moon) was our favorite. It is right on the beach and is open air, but cool with no bugs. If you like salmon, you must try their caribbean rum glazed salmon!!!! Even if you don't choose Secret Harbor, do eat at The Blue Moon.

We enjoyed Secret Harbor and would stay there again. If you want to be close to Red Hook, it is a good choice. If you want to be close to town, have a glistening lobby and room, marble floors and tubs, intricate pools and hot tubs, and be impressed with upscale ambience, this is not the place you want to stay. If you want a clean, cool, relaxing, peaceful vacation that leaves you feeling like you got away from it all, Secret Harbor would be a great choice.

Definitely do not stay at the Sapphire Beach Resort. We checked it out while there because in pictures the views of the sea looked great. It did have good views, but was loud with kids and partying adults. The "resort" was run down and dumpy.

One last thing about Secret Harbor, it is a marine sanctuary. There are numerous iguanas, little lizards, birds, and hummingbirds moving about the flowering grounds. (We had a daily iguana visitor on our patio who hid in and ate the leaves of one of the potted trees. No wildlife was in the room though.)

I hope this is helpful. I can send some Secret Harbor photos to you if you would be interested.
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:10 AM

hi belle, wanted to 2nd all the other posts. Secret harbor is wonderful! the beach is very nice, snorkeling off to the right (looking out to sea) is outstanding. if peace and quiet are priority though, i would maybe not go with the beachfront room. they can be alittle noisy for obvious reasons. the condos on the hill are NO big deal to walk to and they do offer a better view for sunsets and such. all have balcony. def plan to eat bfast and munch in sometimes,all have complete kitchens. did not find rooms "spare" just tropical(carpet would be moldy in short order). don't know why so many are not willing to try driving on left. i took to it right away & was only confused once at an intercection (couldn't decide who had right of way).people just laughed at me. blue moon is delightful! ON the beach,you'll dine listening to the waves and the food is very good. many island people are seemingly put out by american impatience. for great service on st.t engage the person in a brief personal conversation before making your request it goes a long way.Enjoy your trip.

Search this Thread