Salmonella at Allegro Resorts

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 04:41 AM
joe

Salmonella at Allegro Resorts

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Hideaway (Cancun) resort the first week of July. Unfortunately we got more than we bargained for. The day we returned home my wife became extremely ill. We had brought antibiotics as a precaution so she started taking them. It seemed to go away but several weeks later the problems returned. The second time she became so dehydrated that she was admitted to the hospital. She was in the hospital for 4 days and off work for almost a week. Tests showed that my wife had salmonella. The doctors are positive she contracted this while in Mexico. We ate all of our meals at the Royal Hideaway so we're positive she got it while at the resort. It took her almost 5 weeks to finally get better. This was an extremely bad case of salmonella and my wife was miserable for several weeks.

Almost 3 weeks ago I wrote the Royal Hideaway and Allegro Resorts to inform of them of what had happened. To date I haven't gotten any response from them. I assume they either didn't take this seriously or they didn't care. It doesn't say much for a organization
that can't spend a few minutes to address a serious situation like this. The main reason I wrote the letter was to make sure something was done so nobody else had to go through what my did.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 05:50 AM
Cheri

Sorry to hear about your wife's problem. I can understand how she feels, I had the same problem years ago upon leaving Cozumel.

If you are unhappy about the response from the hotel and feel you are not getting the attention you desire, contact the Ombudsman at Conde Nast magazine.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 09:34 AM
Lizzie

If you wife did indeed get salmonella from the resort and not already had it working in her system, wouldn't other guests have also gotten ill? Did she maybe eat/drink something when you left resort that may have slipped her mind?

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 04:01 AM
joe

My wife was ill before we left the resort for the airport. She was so ill she didn't eat until the next day (including the flight home). We don't know if anyone else got the salmonella because she got sick the day we came home. The doctors told many times people take antibiotics and it clears up without ever having to get tested for salmonella. Also, people were at the resort from all over the world so it would be hard to track who actually got salmonella. Allegro resorts may have gotten other compalaints but of course didn't respond to letters like mine.

Thanks Cheri for the information. It's a shame that Allegro couldn't spend a few minutes to respond to my concerns and acknowledge that this happened at one to their resorts.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 04:40 AM
Cheri

Note to anyone reading my first post, when I contracted the food poisoning in Coz, I wasn NOT staying at an Allegro resort. I was comiserating with the food poisoning, not the resort. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 04:01 PM
babs

cheri: we did stay at Diamond Resort Coz (Allegro) and had 1-day fever, etc., which we attributed to too much tequila!

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:
(1) do not drink any water not bottled
(and if you are allergic to quinine, do not drink mexican bottled water, since that is a purification agent in it (my husband is and payed for it)...
(2) not even to brush teeth..use mouthwash if necessary...
(3) not even in shower..
(4) any drink WITH ICE must have alcohol in it...use a straw...
(5) stay away from mayo, eggs, margarine, butter, cream sauces...they are carriers...
(6) carry ImodiumAD, alka-seltzer and Pepto...they work.
(7) wash your hands with bottled water...alot...
(8) antibiotics are good, but be careful taking them IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS... they will mask underlying causes...
SORRY YOU GOT SICK. it really spoils the trip and the memories...i know from experience...

(2)

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 06:19 AM
Cheri

An excellent combo is Imodium and pepto caplets. My doctor recommends two of each every morning! You have to be careful of the antibiotics they give you to take before a trip. 1) A lot of them make you photo sensitive and you will burn easily and 2)a lot of them make the problem worse!
We followed all the suggestions listed above, but I believe our problem came from a sandwich we shared on our last night there. We both came down with it the day after we got home, within a half hour of each other.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 06:28 AM
fLORA

i STAYED AT ALLEGRO RESORT IN FEBRUARY IN TURKS AND CAICOS,FOR 1 WEEK, GOT SO SICK WAS IN BED FOR 2 DAYS, WE WHERE IN A ALL INCLUSIVE PROGRAM, WE HAD ALL OUR MEALS IN THE RESORT, IT RUINED OUR VACATION.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 07:38 AM
Casey

My husband got extremely ill at Beaches resort in Turks & Caicos and was in bed the last 2 days of trip. He was dangerously dehydrated on way home and had to be taken to Dr. right away. Be careful because the meds they are able to give at these resorts dont amount to much more than you can bring from home. As for the resort experience, he was not the only one affected by the numbers that were showing up at the nurses station. They offered me a free night at the resort when I complained and even though I wont be back there before the expiration date, they did respond.