Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Need Honeymoon help! Biras, Grace Bay Club, or Cap Jaluca?

Need Honeymoon help! Biras, Grace Bay Club, or Cap Jaluca?

Aug 13th, 1999, 06:27 AM
Kyle

Need Honeymoon help! Biras, Grace Bay Club, or Cap Jaluca?

I am planning our honeymoon next summer (7/23 to 7/31) and would like some feedback from a veteran Caribbeaner on which of these resorts offer the best service, weather(too hot?), snorkling, rooms, and food(incl. outside of the resort) Also, are these all relatively accessible from Boston? Thanks so much! Will also take any other suggestions along these lines.

Aug 14th, 1999, 02:07 PM
Karen

Nice choices ... not familiar with flights out of Boston area but from New York area, to get to any of the three, you have to transfer either in Miami or San Juan. Biras is absolutely wonderful as is Virgin Gorda. Switch in San Juan, fly to Tortola and transfer to Virgin Gorda. Grace Bay is lovely and the beach there is wonderful but I found the island lacking in cusine other than at Anconda and pretty desolate otherwise. Might want to consider Maridan Club instead. Hoping that Cap Juluca measures up to Biras but have that scheduled for this Feb. so can't give you a comparison. For good info re: Biras and the BVI, go to Scubamom.com. It is an enchanting place and one of my favorites!

Aug 16th, 1999, 11:08 AM
Kyle

Thanks very much. I actually looked at the Meridian Club as well, it looks beautiful. Is it too isolated though? It sounds like Biras might be the way to go, b/c I've heard that there's not as much to do in Provo from others also. Is the food good at Biras?

Aug 17th, 1999, 02:10 PM
Julia

Don't give up on Cap Juluca! We are booked for our honeymoon there in November. If you fly into St. Maarten then you take a 20 minute ferry (they run every half hour) to Anguilla.

Take a look at www.traveltalk.com click under CaribeTalk then Anguilla and look back at past messages. You will want to go to Cap!

Some friends went there and said it was amazing and the service is unbeatable! plus, Anguilla is suppose to be great and the people are very friendly.

We are spending a few nights there and St. Barts. You should check out St. Barts also. The french food is suppose to be great!

Aug 17th, 1999, 02:18 PM
Julia

Here is the exact web site. Search bakc past months and you will find some discussion on Cap.

http://www.traveltalk.com/cgi-bin/ta...nguilla/travel

Aug 17th, 1999, 07:11 PM
Karen

Food at Biras is wonderful! Not as many eating choices on Virgin Gorda as in Anguilla, I suspect. Biras is a bit isolated as well since it is reachable only by boat! I would put Biras #1 in the BVI ... with a close second to Peter Island ....

Aug 18th, 1999, 10:50 AM
kyle

Thanks Karen and Julie. Your responses have been very helpful in this process. Julie, you're right, Cap Juluca is supposed to have amazing people and restaurants. The only reason I think I am favoring Virgin Gorda is for the snorkling and asthetic beauty of the island. I still really want to try Anguilla though, a friend from work just got back from St. Barts and they stopped in Anguilla and said it looked incredible. Let me know how it goes in November!

Aug 27th, 1999, 08:04 AM
Lisa

I'm from Boston too and have been to both Anguilla and Virgin Gorda recently. Both islands are very beautiful but for different reasons. I have stayed on VG twice and would recommend Biras Creek. The food is fabulous, (it is a Relais and Chateaux property) the service is great and the
island is incredibly lush and scenic. The only downside to Biras was the beach at Deep Bay. I did not find it to be one of the better Caribbean beaches and certainly would not compare it to any of the beaches on Anguilla. Little Dix Bay is a beautiful property as well and may be a resort to consider. We stayed at the Sonesta Beach Resort on Anguilla several years ago and checked out Cap Juluca. The property is beautiful with an unbelievable beach. We did not eat there but ate at many wonderful restaurants on the island and visited Anguilla's many fabulous beaches.

Aug 27th, 1999, 09:57 AM
kyle

Thanks Lisa, that was very helpful. I think we're leaning towards Biras and VG for the asthetic beauty of the island and the better snorkling. We looked at Little Dix, but I think it probably exceeds our budget and I've heard it's become quite family oriented. I have heard though that VG can be incredibly hot in the summer, can anyone confirm this. Is Anguilla much cooler?

Search this Thread