Reload this Page >

Safety in Jamaica/Ritz Carlton Rose Hall

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Traci

Two questions: 1) How concerned about my safety should I be in the Montego Bay area? I am staying at the Ritz Carlton in Rose Hall and would like to take some day trips with my boyfriend to Negril and Ocho Rios. Should I not leave my hotel??? And, 2) Has anyone stayed at the Ritz?

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 04:18 AM
debbie

hi there, i would not be concerned at all about traveling around by day - we stayed in Ocho Rios and drove around in cabs with our 2 children and never felt scared in any way - we found the Jamaicans to be the most friendly people we have encountered in the Caribbean much friendlier than Aruba. I am not sure about driving around by yourself just because of the way everyone drives and the condition of the roads. I would definitely not stay within the confines of the resort there is too much to see and do in Jamaica so much so that we are returning in December. Negril and Ocho Rios is about 2 hours EACH way from Montego Bay so you would have to plan around that. Anyways you will have a great time!

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 05:23 AM
dixie

We stayed at the Ritz last fall. Beautiful romantic rooms and the staff is wonderful. I have been to Jamaica 6 times in 4 years and love the country and the people are wonderful. I would not rent a car though, narrow, bummy, curvey roads. Best to leave the driving to someone else and you can enjoy the views. Don't be scared just be careful as you would any place that you are unfamilar with. Negril and Ocho Rios are quite a drive (1-2 hour), each in a different direction from Montego Bay. Plan a full day for each trip. Have fun and relax, no danger in Jamaica if you use common sense. <BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Anonymous

Perhaps you should not be traveling to Jamaica, or anywhere else that is, if you are afraid to leave the hotel. Why spend the money? Unclench a little.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Hanna

Hey, "Anon" - I don't think Traci deserved that kind of answer in response to her very valid concerns about venturing off-resort. I think that the rest of the board would agree that it's a good idea to be cautious WHEREVER one travels, not just in Jamaica. It's unfortunate, but tourists are targets in many countries (including the U.S.) and it just pays to have be vigilant and exercise some common sense.