Safe Snorkeling

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Novice Snorkeler

Safe Snorkeling

I've finally saved enough money to take a well deserved vacation. I've invited my sister and we want to find a place where we can recharge from the stress of kids and my recent divorce. We're having trouble agreeing upon where exactly to go so though I'd ask for assistance in narrowing the choices. I have finally learned to snorkel after 40 years and want to try out my new stuff. She can barely swim, but is agreeable to try to snorkel with me. Where would you recommend as the safest snorkel location. By that I mean 2 women alone, poor swimmer, no currents, sharks, people eating animals, ect.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 10:35 AM
CJ

Grand Cayman without a doubt. The island is very, very safe. The water is calm & clear, fish are plentiful right off shore. The island is protected by a reef--no sharks or boaters running you over. For water & island safety, GC is worth the extra $$$. Definitely do a stingray tour with Captain Dexter. It's still one of the highlights of any vacation I've taken.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Carol Ann

Grand Cayman, definitely. So many places to jump in, right from shore. We don't care for Smith's Point (too crowded) or Cemetary Reef (a goodly swim to the reef). We pay a day fee to use the faciilities at Morritts. Snorkeling is good behind The Edge restaurant in Boddentown. Also near the Queen's monument. Fair near Treasure Island. There are so many great places along SMB, just grab your mask & wade in. Only problem is parking. The beach is lined with hotels & condos, but there are accesses.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Susie

DON'T pick St. Martin/Sint Maarten for snorkeling. The current was very strong, and most of the coral was dead and grey.

St. Thomas was so-so. St. John was terrific.

Everyone, as you're seeing here, recommends Grand Cayman for snorkeling and diving. We're headed there next spring!

If you go there, please post and let us know what you think!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Paul

Baby Beach, Aruba is just such a place.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Susie

Hi Carol Ann,

We are looking at Grand Caymanian vs. Morritt's for next spring. We've heard that Morritt's is on the windy side of the island. Was it windy when you were there? How windy - did it make the surf strong?

When we were in St. Martin this spring, we were on the windy side of that island, and it created 5+ foot waves - there were people surfing where we had planned to putter around in the water and snorkle!

Thanks for the info.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:34 PM
snorkel daddy

Seven Mile Beach in Cayman is a good choice, but there are many, many others. The east end of the island around Morritt's is not one of them; they windsurf out there as it faces the prevailing winds. A couple of places to consider:
Little Cayman: small laid-back island with several nice resorts and some of the most outstanding snorkeling on the planet. The reefs are lush, full of fish and start virtually at the shoreline.
Bonaire: also small and laid back, but more spectacular coral in the marine park and around Klein Bonaire. No waves, no wind, and no rain to create run-off (that makes the water muddy).
St. John: another perpetual top-10. It's American, easy to get to, has a variety of places to stay and the north coast is one sandy cove after another, all with coral reefs. Most of the island is a U.S. national park.
Cozumel: It's near Cancun and has wonderful snorkeling on shallow reefs close to shore. Lots of nice, but inexpensive, hotels. Good restaurants and friendly people. Very safe for ladies traveling alone (as are the others mentioned here).
Grace Bay, Providenciales: A spectacular beach with very nice hotels along it, everything from celebrity hang=outs to an Alegro all-inclusive to a Club Med. The snorkeling is excellent, the island exremely safe, the water very clear.

Hope that helps.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:38 PM
snorkel daddy

Forgot to mention, there's a whole article about great snorkel beaches in the Caribbean Travel & Life magazine this month. The info's on their website, too, but without the killer pictures: www.caribbeantravelmag.com

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 03:22 AM
Carol Ann

Suzie & snorkel daddy,
Maybe it's the time of year that we go to Cayman (fall) but we've always had good luck snorkeling at Morritts. There are days when Seven Mile is not glassy calm but the other side is. Someone always comments that that's unusual. Snorkeling conditions everywhere do vary with the season & the weather.

Personally, I'd think very hard before staying way out there. Cayman Kai, ok, because of the ferry at Rum Point, but Morritts feels isolated. (The very reason so many like it.) It's an easy, but very long drive back to Georgetown/Seven Mile where most of the shopping, restaurants, etc are.

We've talked about splitting our next trip between the two sides. There is much to enjoy east of the airport & it's less westernized. Very rural, but definitely not impoverished! Sweet little island homes to mansions. And it's much less crowded. Also, we always like to eat at The Edge & Lighthouse at Breakers and Rum Point's restaurant, all on that side.

Best,
Carol Ann

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:04 PM
tom

Bonaire is a snorkelers paradise, right off the beach. Stay at Harbour Village.
Another great choice is Cozumel - snorkel right off the beach and stay at the Presidente.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Louise

Just a note about Bonaire. We were there last fall and heard there was much damage from wave surges from a hurricane. We went anyway as we heard the fish life was better that ever. What a disappointment!! The coral was indeed destroyed and resembled piles of rubble. The fish life was, in our opinion, not good either. Others might find it good but that is how we felt.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 05:53 PM
amber

Turks & Caicos!! Go to Provo, Coral Garden reef is amazing!! There is very little crowds & the water is like glass. It's like looking through a tropical aquarium. I used a pink tube to snorkel with since I'm a big wussy but you can buy a snorkel vest at Galleons or online at diversdiscount.com

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 06:28 PM
xx

When people talk about "shallow" just how "shallow"? I am not comfortable in water over 6ft, can I still do snorkeling?