Running in Negril?

Aug 5th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Running in Negril?

This might be a strange question, but I'm hoping someone here can help! My husband and I are leaving on Tuesday for a week at the Caves. We are both runners, and he is currently in training for a half marathon. Is there any good safe place to go for a run in this area? (By safe, I mean we won't get mowed down by too much traffic!) It is my understanding that we aren't close to the beach so we can't run there. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Tracey
Aug 5th, 2007, 07:34 PM

If they are like other Island Outpost hotels, they probably have a driver that can take you to the beach and pick you back up. Or you can take a cab. That would be the safest.
Aug 6th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Are the roads in Negril really that unsafe for running? Even if we go early in the morning?
Aug 6th, 2007, 08:09 AM

We just returned from Negril late July and stayed on the cliffs. We went walking for 2 hours in the morning (it didnot take long to get soaked - cuz of the heat) on the main road. If I would have been up for it I would have felt comfortable running. But that's me.

Good Luck to your marathon.
Aug 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM

There's really not much traffic up where The Caves are. If you head away from town, you should be ok. We went biking up that way and never felt unsafe. Enjoy The Caves, the food is amazing. If it's not full, ask for a room upgrade, we got upgraded to a 2-BR for no extra charge, didn't really need the space, but the location was better.