Royal Hideaway -Playacar

Search

Royal Hideaway -Playacar

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Hideaway -Playacar

I am interested in RH for a romantic getaway- does anyone have any positive or negative commments regarding this all-inclusive resort?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:42 PM

On a personal note I have never been but I have heard always positive comments. You may try typing it in the search box and find the replies you are seeking.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:54 PM

I have also NEVER heard a single negative comment about RH.
This place must really have it together to have such positive feedback.
If I were into AI's, I'd have to check it out!
Look at tripadvisor.com. They usually have a lot of recent in-depth trip reports for travelers.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:20 PM
me

RH is one of the best in the Caribbean ,especially for AI. At nights it's pretty quiet , but if you want to party ,the town of Playa Del Carmen is only 5 minutes away by taxis ,plenty of shops ,cafes and bars , restaurants ...all open very late - also just steps in front of the hotel is Playacar shopping mall.Yes, it's a great value too -all possitives for RH !
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Yes I can comment on this resort and yes it is positive! I went last year with my husband in October and it was absolutely beautiful. The resort itself is smaller then the other ones but its more intimate. I recommend it for romance, relaxation, and really good service, food, etc. We stayed in a luxury room which was gorgeous. I would recommend you ask for the top floor. They have 2 and 3 story villas. We stayed in a 2 story villa on the top floor with a garden view. Being on the top floor you get a room with a cathedral ceiling. If you have extra $$ to spare I would recommend an ocean view room. The view of the water from the resort is breathtaking. The water is very clear and very calm when we went. The food was delicious in all 4 restaurants. Our favorite was the italian restaurant. They offer roof top dining and definitely reserve a table for that. You can see the island of Cozumel across the way at night. Very romantic. They also have a nice martini bar where you can relax in the evening for a nightcap. They do offer a show and dinner I believe on Tuesday nights. We had booked a tour to Chichen Itza that day and didn't get back in time for it. So besides that they really didn't have too much nighlife. We didn't mind though, we just wanted to relax. They also offer dining on the beach for two. I can email you photos from my vacation last year. It was for our 1 year anniversary and we were very happy here. You won't be disappointed. I want to go back! Susan
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:17 AM

I loved RH and would recommend it but would probably not go back. The food and service was excellent and the resort was beautiful. But here's a few negatives, with the understanding that I have been to some pretty nice places and find I am getting pickier regarding what I want in a vacation with each great place I go to!
1) I found the beach to be crowded for my taste. It's too bad RH isn't set away from all the other AI's in the area because that beach is 10 AI's in a row and it was jam packed with people for what seemed like miles. However, I do want to say that my vacation immediately preceding the one at RH was on the island of Provo and if you have been to Grace Bay Beach you know it is not crowded at all. So, in context, RH seemed very crowded to me.
2) Hardly any oceanview rooms and you really pay a premium if you want one. Little or no chance of getting upgraded because there are so few. I really missed an ocean view.
3) Make your reservations for restaurants before leaving home. We had difficutly getting anything other than 6 p.m. or 9:30.
That being said, it is still a fabulous vacation and gets my vote for best value upscale resort, you get more than your money's worth!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I just thought that I would add my two cents. I guess it really depends on what time of year you do go. Being that we went during low season (mid-October) the beaches were not crowded at all. Maybe there were 5 other couples on the beach in front of the RH when we were there? The other resorts had more people in front of them but it wasn't anyting like I am used to here. (being that I am from NJ I am used to going to the shore with MAJOR crowds) Also we didn't have any problem with making reservations for any night once we got there. Again, it must really depend on the time of year. I would recommend October to anyone. Very quiet and not swarming with tourists!! Keep that in mind
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:40 AM

FYI, we were there the first week in April and the resort was at capacity. Yes, October is probably a great time to go!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 07:34 PM

Susan, do you still have that website I emailed you with the discounts for RH? I lost it after a computer crash, should have backed up my favorites. Sarajkl might check prices there for comparison. Also, I'd like to add it to my favorites again. Thanks!

Karen
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:08 AM

To KarenM,
Yes I still have the website. It is www.eleisurelink.com. I just checked the site and there are no specials right now on the Royal Hideaway but I'm sure if you keep checking back they are bound to show up! -Susan