Search

Robert

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robert

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your postings/advice regarding sharks in the Caribbean (did a recent search for sharks on this board and found your postings).
The last 2 years, my interest in snorkeling really picked up (still very much a novice). But like everyone else, I've seen all of the Jaws movies.
I've read a few trip reports that mentioned shark sightings (most notably Owa's Vieques trip report) and all I could think was how I'd freak out if I saw one.
Last year, we went to Cozumel and I went off snorkeling on my own until I thought that if a shark got me, no one would know!! Didn't snorkel too long after that (Yes, the $%&*#^ Jaws movies again!).
Anyway, all this to say that your postings were very educational (what to do, what not to wear, etc...) and "somewhat" put my mind at ease.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:10 AM

hi caribtraveler,

that is why i like to snorkel in very shallow water that is clear...jaws movies did it for me, too. although my husband says his best dives are when he has seen sharks...way too scary for me! i still won't see that movie dark water.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:11 AM

or is it deep water? can't remember. all i know is there was a couple stuck in the middle of the ocean.

btw, i read robert's post, as well, and it helped to put my mind at ease a little bit, too.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM

It's "Open Water" and I won't watch it, either. It was bad enough reading about the original story in the words of Bill Bryson, the travel writer, in his book about Australia.

Reading owa's post startled me a bit. I can never make up my mind if I'm relieved or disappointed to have never seen a shark in my snorkels. But reading that a local told her that it could have been a tiger shark kinda freaked me out. I DEFINITELY do not want to meet with a tiger shark when I'm in Vieques in a couple of months.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

I didn't see the movie and I plan to NEVER see it. I love the ocean/sea too much and Jaws was enough.