A Challenge to our Fodors Friends: Ignore Destructive, Lame Posters

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until a well-placed house lands on the irritating group of trolls currently polluting this site, can the rest of us take an oath to resist any response to their tiresome, negative, and destructive posts?

Responding to their nonsense solves nothing and, in fact, feeds their pathetic need for attention and brings their posts back up to the top. If we stop responding to them, I've got to think they'll eventually find some other doorway to darken.

So here's the challenge: First one to respond to one of those lamebrains has to wear the village idiot crown for the day.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:55 PM

I'm in, Mary Fran.

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jocelyn. I wish that old bucket of water trick from the Wizard of Oz would work, "Oh! My beautiful wickedness is melting!!!!"
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Not too keen on the "village idiot crown" idea (there's more than enough belittling going on around here), but I agree that feeding trolls only encourages them.

It's hard, though, not to come to the defense of the trolls' targets when you see them being so unfairly
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:08 PM

(sorry!) attacked.

If for no other reason, trolls shouldn't be encouraged because their posts are so poorly and unimaginatively written.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:10 PM

I agree with you 100% Mary_Fran..You can count on me.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Croque_Madam, agreed. I don't want to be mean spirited, but it takes discipline to resist rising to the bait. We all know who the good guys are, and they really don't need defending.

It's just really hard to resist rising to the bait. They say stupid things as a way of getting attention, and any response just feeds their pathetic need to be the center of attention. They're beneath contempt and not worthy of a response.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Agree 100%, Mary_Fran. Unfortunately I was naive enough not to recognise one of the more recent incarnations, otherwise I would not have participated in the inaugural thread. Am trying to be more careful now.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Good approach, Mary_Fran - they're not likely to seek professional help any time soon, so the only sensible response is silence.

If "village idiot" is thought to be a bit harsh a rousing chorus of "Sucker!" might be in order?
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Not a word, people. Not a word. Fodors has obviously pulled the plug on ddean old Aunt Nell, but as long as there are alternative e-mail addresses on hotmail, her alter ego will spring up and make herself/himself evident with inane posts.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

"ddean old Aunt Nell?" Whatever. She's dead and hopefully her tiresome alter egos will follow her in short order.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Mary_Fran, aren't you responding to one right there in your previous two replies?
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:43 AM

No, Mary_Fran was speaking to US, not the troll. So that doesn't count. I'm all for ignoring the TROLL comments, but will respond to other questions within a thread that also contain a troll's remarks. That way, the OP doesn't fall victim. Of course, if the OP <i>is</i> the troll, then it's a no-go.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:20 AM

now the rules are going to get complicated
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Count me in on the pursuit of discipline against trolling. What was an enjoyable, informative channel has become a quagmire of time-wasting silliness. Here's to our complete recovery!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Happytravels

Not to be too radical, but it is possible that posters limit it to travel, specific travel?

While I have your attention, anyone have any great places to stay in Wales? Totally new area of the UK for us. Thanks. Yes, I will post it there as well.

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:51 AM

I'm in...I use to get so frustrated on the US board when there was a poster that gave misleading advice to people visiting SF. My husband deals with these sorts of people eveyday at work and also is a training officer, here is his advice:

If you are arguing with an &quot;idiot&quot; it just brings to down to their level, and if you loose the argument, where does that leave you? I don't ever want to be &quot;less than&quot; these people!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 07:14 AM

I will do my best. It does require discipline--there are a few words, phrases, topics, and posters that make my blood boil and I have been guilty of taking the bait.

I find it particularly difficult when a troll posts something as fact, when it is either incorrect or opinion. I have a hard time staying out of the fray.

I'm learning that abstinence is the best course for me. When the title of a thread gives me that sneaky feeling, I just pass on by. . .
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM

My flaw is when I think they're nuts or funny. I promise (like the good Girl Guide I once was) to DMB
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 01:13 PM

&quot;...Look what you've done...I'm melting, I'm melting. Oh -- what a world -- what a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!?”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -