Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Requesting advice for a brief getaway over Thanksgiving weekend

Nov 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi, everyone!

My boyfriend and I would like to get away to a Caribbean island over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. We're not picky about which one as long as there are beautiful, pristine, white sand beaches and good food. However, we want to spend Thanksgiving with friends, so we'd like to depart from New York City on Friday morning and return Sunday afternoon or evening, ideally on a nonstop flight to save time.

Are there any particular islands you would recommend for such a short visit? We're currently considering St. Lucia, but are there really nice white sand beaches there? The photos I've seen of the beaches there are not as appealing as on other islands.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you could provide!
Nov 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Aruba
Nov 14th, 2010, 03:26 AM

You really only going to have one full day (Saturday) at your destination. You will lose at least 1/2 day traveling TO your vacation spot and you'll waste at least that much time, maybe more getting back home. Are you sure you want to go through all that trouble for such a very long stay???? You might be better off just going to a nice hotel near where you live or perhaps a Bed & Breakfast in the countryside for a relaxing weekend.

If you do decide to take the trip you should choose an island destination that you can easily reach non-stop from NYC is the lease amount of time. Check out Puerto Rico, Jamaica or the Dominican Republic - all three are relatively close (about 4 to 5 hours flying time) and there are plenty of daily flights which will afford you more "time on island. Bermuda is very close (about 2.5 hours flying time) to NYC but it can be a bit cool at Thanksgiving. You run the same risk of potential cool weather in the Bahamas. You might also check out St. Thomas - only about 20 minutes more flying time than Puerto Rico it may be just the place for a quick trip.

One thing you'll have to contend with no matter where you go is finding available seats for your return flight on Sunday. The Sunday after Thanksgiving is a VERY popular travel day and many flights have been fully booked for months. expect to pay a high price for your tickets.

Personally, I'd rethink going for such a short visit but then I'm not you. Good luck in making your decision.
Nov 14th, 2010, 04:47 AM

I think RoamsAround gave you excellent advice. I really don't think it's worth the money you'll spend on airfare, hotel, etc. since you have almost no time for the actual visit. On top of that, ( hate to pile on, but...) island weather in November can be fickle. It might be fine, or you might have lots of clouds and rain.
Nov 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM

i pretty much agree with roams but if you would still like to go you should consider puerto rico.
from kayak.com: you can fly nstp jfk to san juan for $759/pp.
on fri
flt# 701 dep jfk 6:30am ar sju 10:38am
ret sun night
flt# 712 dep sju 9:45pm ar jfk 12:41am
you might save by returning mon am if that's possible for you.
you'd get 2 1/2 days island time. i really know nothing about beachfront hotels there, but if you decide you'd like to go - repost with san juan hotels in the title. at this late date i'd probably call a travel agent.
Nov 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM

oh and you might look at cancun
Nov 14th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your quick response and very helpful suggestions.

My boyfriend's a doctor and, unfortunately, cannot get the following Monday off. Since several of you mentioned that we wouldn't have enough time to really enjoy any of the islands over Thanksgiving weekend, we have now decided to postpone this trip to a later date.

We really appreciate the honest feedback.

Best wishes to you all!