Reload this Page >

Renting a Jeep in St. John?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Snorkeler

I will be in St. John in February. What are the companies to contact and reserve a car / jeep. Does anyone know the prices fo a day /week? I'm staying at the Westin.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Kevin

I used Conrad's car rental this past September. One advantage to using Conrad, is he let's you park in his lot when you're in town. That's good, because there aren't many spots in Cruz Bay.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:13 PM
maggie

We rented from Dependable in St John and took the Jeep Wrangler on the ferry to St John ($27 roundtrip from Red Hook with General). The cost for the week was about $375 without added insurance. I would get a 4-speed, the automatic was gutless. Dependable will come get you at the airport or at your hotel if not too far from their office. Very nice people!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Maze

FYI..You only need a jeep for a day or two for exploring . The roads are extremely hilly, twisty, and narrow, and you have to drive on the other side of the road (assuming you are from the US). Also, wild donkeys, sheep, chickens, and other animals are frequently in the road. The pick-up truck taxis are great for getting around.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Kim

Paris car rental located in Cruz Bay daily rates are around 76.00 per day and 456.00 per week for a Geo Tracker convertible or similar. I am not finding many car rental companies actually in St. John.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Mary

There are actually several car rental companies on St John. Here's a link that will take you to them. <BR>http://www.usvi-on-line.com/usvicarrental.shtml<BR>Just copy and paste it. You can also rent a car on St Thomas and bring it across to St John on the car barge. There are a couple of companies on St Thomas that allow this. <BR>I prefer to rent on St John since then if I run into trouble (flat tire, keys locked in car) help is close by. <BR>If you rent on St John you can expect to pay around $350 a week for a 4 wheel drive vehicle. There are no regular cars for rent on St John. You will be glad for a jeep or jeep like vehicle. The roads are indeed steep and winding, with lots of switchbacks and hairpin turns. You will also be driving on the left.<BR>With all that said, don't be intimidated. We had pretty much adjusted within an hour or so of driving and you just need to pay attention to what you're doing. Have fun!!!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:28 PM
David

I have to disagree with Maze. If you're staying at the Westin, you will want to visit other beaches as often as possible. So it's great having a jeep to get around to go to a different beach every day and to go into Cruz Bay for meals.<BR><BR>I really liked staying at the Westin, but I highly recommend having your own transportation for the entire time you're there

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Anna

We stayed at the Westin in November and rented from Conrad Sutton. We are returning in April and plan to rent from Conrad's again. The rates are pretty much the same at all of the agencies. The beach at the Westin cannot compare to those of the National Park. <BR>http://www.conradcars.com/index.html

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 03:54 AM
char

<BR>Perhaps the Westin can arrange a rental car agency for you.<BR>Just a thought.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:14 AM
Susan

Hi Snorkeler! When we stayed at the Westin in 1998, there was a customer service desk right in the hotel lobby that made arrangements for our Jeep rental. We were glad that we did rent one. While we enjoyed our stay at the Westin, its beach is certainly not the most beautiful on the island. There are far prettier ones. Driving on St. John is not terribly difficult - just remember to stay on the left side of the road and watch out for wildlife. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:42 PM
Delegator

Hi. We were on St. John in November and rented from Conrad Sutton. It was about $350 for 6 days. My husband did a lot of research and Conrad was recommended here and some other places. Generally, we were very happy. The woman who checked us in was a little slow and we had to wait for our car (supposedly Conrad was putting gas in it, but it took him 30 minutes). I think we were a little impatient as we hadn't adjusted to island time yet and wanted to get going on our way. However, that is our only complaint. The rate was comparable; we were glad to not have to deal with getting the car over from St. Thomas; and we loved having the car at our disposal. Also, it is great to be able to park in his lot when you are in town (though the entrance to his lot is a bit steep!). This way, after a day out and about, you wont have to go back to the resort, drop off your car and wait for a taxi. We also felt that we needed the car the entire time. There are so many beautiful beaches to visit and having a car gives you the most flexibility. The roads aren't that full and driving on the left is not as hard as you'd think, once you get accustomed to the hills, which took about 1 day. Plus, you can drive out to Ram's Head and do that hike, which is great; go to Vie's; etc. Have fun.