Search

Relocating to Curacao

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating to Curacao

Hello everyone,
I’m an online grad student and want to move to Curacao for a year. For those who have gone through the process of relocating to Curacao, can you please give me some tips? Of course, I have to look for housing when I arrive and I like to know what the price range is for a flat or two bedroom apartment in Willemstad. It should be in a quite area, in close proximity to a public library and park. What is involved in hooking up utilities? I’m taking my computer with me, is there internet connection available? I also like to cook and bake, do the apartments come with ovens? Is there any additional advise you would like to give a newcomer like me?

Thanks you,
JoPat2011
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 04:10 AM

Be aware that If you are not a Netherlands citizen you cannot just show up one day and expect to take up residency. You will need to apply for a a visa and/or a residency permit to spend more than 3 months as a tourist or take up residency in Curacao. You'll also have to provide documentation that you have the financial means to support yourself without working as non-Netherlands citizens may not work without a Work Permit.

You can find the basic residency requirements on the following websites:

www.liveincuracao.com/index.php?cat=816

http://www.curacao.name/netherlands-...idence-permit/

Also do a google search using such topics as "relocating to Curacao", "Living in Curacao", Curacao Residency Requirements", "Curacao Apartment Rentals", Real Estate in Curacao" and you'll find hundreds of links giving plenty of information.

Yes, there's internet service available.

Utilities hook ups are like anywhere else - call or visit the utility company, pay the required hook-up fees and deposits and wait for the technician to come by and hook you up.

Some apartments come with ovens, some don't.

http://www.curacao-travelguide.com/v...uirements.html
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM

If you are in Willemstad - most everything is in walking distance.
Also, we have a friend who moved there from South Africa, I will try to ask him for some tips.

What a wonderful place to go for a year - steady temperatures and out of the hurricane belt too! Good Luck!
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

That sounds great and I look forward hearing from you.

Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links, I’ll definitely research them. It’s important to have some knowledge about a place before you go.

Thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 04:35 AM

JoPat2011, did you ever go to Curacao? If so, I would love to hear how it all went with residency permit and work permit, as I am considering going there next year myself.

Thanks.