Moving to Turks and Caicos

Old Aug 10th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Turks and Caicos

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend may be getting a job in Turks and Caicos soon so I'm trying to find out some info incase we end up moving there.

I am a British citizen so I was wondering what I need to move there. Am I able to just show up? Do I need to get a job first before moving there? From what I've learned I don't need a visa to visit, so what do I need to move? Me and my boyfriend aren't married so I need to know if I can get there without a work visa or a family visa. I know that I need a work permit to work there but do I need a work permit to live there? Also would me and my boyfriend be allowed to live together, as we aren't married?

I've tried finding this stuff out but cant really find any insight so any info you can give me would be highly appreciated.

Thank you Name:  smile.gif
Views: 1420
Size:  699 Bytes

Any help at all would be so appreciated! You can message me or reply on this thread I dont mind, just really looking for some help asap
madillio is offline  
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,944
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised you haven't been able to find the information you are seeking because there are numerous websites that discuss in detail the Immigration and Work Permit requirements for the T&C's. A simple google search using such topics as "Living & Working in the Turks & Caicos" or "Turks & Caicos Immigration Requirements", etc will give you plenty of links.

Start your research on the following websites:

Immigration and Residency in Turks & Caicos Islands

Basically you cannot just show up and take up residency or work. As a UK citizen you will be allowed to "visit" the island for a period not to exceed 90 days. After that you'll have to leave unless you apply for permanent residency or obtain a Work Permit.

To qualify for permanent residency you must make a significant investment in real estate or in a business that will provides jobs for locals and prove you have the financial means to support yourself without working.

You cannot work on the island without a Work Permit which are difficult to get. You have to have a "unique skill" and find an employer willing to sponsor you. That employer must prove to the local Ministry of Labor that there are no locals qualified to fill that position. Even if you meet those requirements there are no guarantees the Work Permit will be issued. If issued, you must pay the required fee and the Work Permit is only good for that position and must be renewed annually (on rare occasions - usually for a highly skilled worker - a 3 year permit may be issued).

Since the two of you are not married the fact that your boyfriend might have a Work Permit and be granted residency will have no bearing on your status. You must apply separately for your own residency and Work Permit.

The process of obtaining residency and/or a Work Permit can take anywhere from 3 to 9 months and is filled with lots of "red tape". You'd be wise to consult with a local (Turks & Caicos) Immigration/Labor Attorney to help you through the process.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by RoamsAround; Aug 10th, 2018 at 07:01 PM.
RoamsAround is offline  
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah damn, that's really disappointing. Thanks though
madillio is offline  
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 05:03 AM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,720
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointed you cussed

you canít work a single day even for free without a permit

not being married means you need to have everything separately. Work permit, residency, etc. Work permits average $3000Ė$9000 a year, and locals are in no hurry to make it happen quickly

residency is another annual cost. Averages $1500 a year. (Of course if married would have only been a couple $100 added to husband)

if you you donít have residency you must leave every 90 days overnight to somewhere. On the 60th day you will probably waste 2 days extending it to 60.

Theres a huge British expat community so you wonít be alone.

Is it your dream to also also live on an island or are you doing this for your boyfriend? Not my place but Iíll say itóisland life not for everyone and you to want to live on an island to survive it. Itís not like a vacation at all.
blamona is offline  
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 96,992
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you been to the island before? Have you spent much time on any of the Caribbean islands? Why not try it for a couple months before packing your bags and moving "permanently"... keep it under the 90 day tourist allowance and see if it's something you really want to do. Or not.

Yes you can live with your boyfriend without the benefit of marriage. No one will care about that part. It's working without papers or overstaying your time limit that is (would be) the issue. How much money do you have in the bank (I don't mean to answer here, but that is another thing you will need to prove, that you can support yourself without being a burden to the island). This is not specific to T&C, you pretty much can't just show up anywhere and decide to stay without proper paperwork and permits.
suze is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Caribbean Islands
Sep 16th, 2016 07:23 PM
Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Nov 28th, 2015 01:08 PM
Caribbean Islands
Oct 30th, 2012 08:10 AM
May 23rd, 2011 05:52 AM
United States
Nov 27th, 2009 12:12 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -