recommendations needed, resort & dietary

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recommendations needed, resort & dietary

Can anyone recommend a resort in the Caribbean that meets all or some of our needs & wants? Either an all-inclusive adults only where you can eat reasonably healthy food, or a place with kitchen facilities. Nice beaches, of course, but we also like hiking & cultural attractions - local history & architecture. We are 50+. Never been to the islands, and don't really know where to go, but can't wait! Thank you.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM

Budget and when you want to go will be a big part of your decision making process, I expect. I love Bermuda. Hiking the railway trail,lounging on the fabulous beaches and enjying the well established cultural and historical focus. If I were going I would stay at Fourways Inn for an adult holiday. Other resorts which attract primarily adult guests are Newstead, Cambridge Beaches and the Reefs. There are some first rate restaurants in Bermuda which are easily accessible from the Fourways Inn and the one on site is top drawer. The rooms have kitchenettes for those meals you want to cook yourself. Breakfast is included in the rate.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information! Is the Fourways the only one you know of with kitchenette? Budget is about 2,500 to 3,000 with airfare.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM

There are several properties with kitchenette facilities. Surfside and Clairfont both have kitchens...and probably kids.
From where would you be flying and when?
For good budget options in BDA look at www.bermudagetaway.com and www.bermudarentals.com
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links. We are flying from upstate NY, second week in April.

We are not completely adverse to kids, but have found ourselves on cruises & hotels leaving the pool or whatever because out of control children made it unpleasant.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM

April will not be swimming weather, but the gardens and beaches will be beautiful in Bermuda. April is early for kid visitors so I expect you won't find many of them there (other than the residents) at any property. Take a look at the links and see what appeals. If you want to swim in the ocean, I suggest you consider St. John. It is a fabulous destination for hiking and after the 15th it will be off season!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM

If this is your first time ever in the Caribbean, then I'd recommend an island that will not stress you out and where there is a lot of safety and familiarity ... i.e., either Grand Cayman or Aruba. There are some all-inclusive resorts on Aruba, but the restaurants are so good and there are so many decently priced condos that you're much better off going that way. Same in Grand Cayman; a condo with a kitchen is the best way. There are a lot of options in both places, and the weather in April will be great in either place (more wind in Aruba).

Granted, neither has much culture to speak of, but there's a little history in Grand Cayman as well as a little hiking and American-style supermarkets with good selections, albeit at prices that are about 30% to 50% higher than you will pay in the U.S.