Search

Rastafarian/Jamaican beliefs - Tattoo question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rastafarian/Jamaican beliefs - Tattoo question

Hello everyone,

Me and my girlfriend have planned a trip to Jamaica in the new year. I'm a white guy, and I have a tattoo with the "rasta" colors - red , yellow and green stars.

It may be a dumb question, but I heard that rastafarians frown upon white peoples who wear these colors - whether in clothing or tattoos .

My question is - will i have a problem, or could I encounter a problem because of my tattoo?

Or is this a common misconception?

Thanks,

Jason
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM

I would love to know "where you heard" this. Sounds like you are way over thinking it to me.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 01:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hmmm... i'm no rastafarian expert, but that sounds very much like it could be true.

Bassguy66, have you been in Jamaica recently to know this is not a feeling held by at least some people there?
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 04:04 AM

@Suze, although I don't live in jamaica, I do live in another part of the Caribbean, and have known and spoken with many, many, MANY Jamaicans. First time I'm hearing this. I really can't see why Rastas would frown on a white person wearing ites gold and green - to the best of my understanding, they'd more like it than dislike it
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting and thanks for posting. My most recent time in Jamaica was a few years ago now. I was assuming, like white boys with dreads(?) that maybe it wouldn't be all that well received??
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 06:34 AM

Suze,
Nope....never been to Jamaica, but have been all over the Caribbean, and have been blessed to meet locals from many different islands. In most cases, the locals are warm friendly people, and seem to be way too laid back to care about things so trivial. It just sounds like something made up by the same type of people who get bent out of shape over saying "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays". I just think the Rastafarians could care less what kind of tats people have. The "Rastafarian" life style is laid back....no uptight about silly little things. Hence why I think it's a non-issue.