Search

Questions on Anguilla

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Sarah

Questions on Anguilla

I was wondering if you would mind answering a few questions on Anguilla (hopefully our next vacation spot!).<BR>1)Are there any all inclusives on Anguilla? We are on a budget and as wonderful as the restaurants sound, we can't afford them.<BR>2) How does one get to Anguilla? We live in Boston. Are there direct flights from Boston to Anguilla or do you have to stop in St. Martin? I have read a few things on this, but haven't received a clear answer.<BR>3) Is it reasonable to even attempt Anguilla on a budget? <BR>4) For two people, what is the estimated cost (a good deal) for a week here? Limited excursions, hopefully All Inclusive to save on food, etc.<BR>****************************************** **<BR>The reason we would like to go here is for the beautiful beaches. We went to Provo last year and we loved it! If it were up to me, I would go back but my husband wants to check out different places.<BR>Are there any ways to go here inexpensively?<BR>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!<BR>Sarah

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:48 PM
happy

1. as far as I know the one all inclusive that was on Anguilla closed<BR>2. from the NE one flys to St. Martin and flys or ferrys from there or transfers in SJU to an Anguilla flight. <BR>3. depends on your budget. try www.news.ai for the hotels and price ranges. There are lovely moderate places and good dining other than at the high end resorts and restaurants. I found it fairly comprable to the higher end places in the Turks and Caicos.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Susan

Hi Sarah! Yes, you can do Anguilla on a budget and don't let the price of some of the restaurants thwart your plans. My husband and I went to Anguilla in 2001 with GWV Travel. We departed Boston, landed in St. Marteen and took the ferry to Anguilla. We stayed at the Carimar Beach Club, which has lovely units, with fully equipped kitchens. We ate breakfast each morning in our apartment, occasionally ate lunch out and had dinner at "home" three nights. It saved us a lot of money and we were able to "splurge" on some of the restaurants, such as Altamer, which is worth the money. Anyway, check out the GWV Travel website. The Carimar is right on Meads Bay, and while it does not have a pool, one is not needed with its beach. It is tucked in between some of the more expensive hotels, but on the same beach. A trip to Anguilla on a budget can be done. We are proof! Good luck.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 02:45 AM
Mary

Try http://hotels.ai -- they list everything by price & amenities. There are lots of good places to eat thaat won't bust your budget! (and the 33 glorious beaches are FREE!)

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Neela

Hi Sarah,<BR><BR>We are in the midst of planning our first trip to Anguilla...very excited!! Like you, we've been to Provo (loved it) and heard that Anguilla was similar-beautiful beaches, laid back vibe, etc.<BR><BR>Please keep in mind that we have not yet been to Anguilla-we can offer advice based on our research only!<BR><BR>No, we have not found any all inclusives on AXA. Everyone says that you will miss out if you do not dine out-even occasionally. Many hotels have self catering units (with kitchenette). Like poster above, I urge you to check news.ai for accomodation information. Have you considered renting a private home? We are looking into renting Splash! villa (I believe it's in Cul de Sac). <BR><BR>We will be traveling from NYC to AXA. American Airlines flies from JFK to Wallblake Airport in Anguilla (stop over in San Juan), but that fare seems high to me, and didn't drop when other Caribbean route prices dropped. You will find more flights by more airlines (so more competitive fares) to St. Martin. We found a direct flight for about $ 375 rt. We heard this was a good price. We'll spend a day or two on SXM before ferrying over to AXA.<BR><BR>Check out www.caribbean-on-line.com for lots of trip reports and restaurant recommends. We are trying to fit our trip in to a tight budget also.<BR><BR>I hope that my research gives you a little bit of insight. Let us know what you decide!!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Sarah

Thank you all for your help! WHat a wonderful place to come for travel tips! <BR>Susan: I will definitely check out GWV, as I used them to go to Provo, Turks and Caicos and they were great!<BR>Would you mind me asking a ballpark figure on what to expect for a total cost? Just airfare, hotel and estimated meal costs..<BR>Thank you all so much.<BR>Sarah

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Bud

Sarah, How did you like Provo? Considering either Provo or Anguilla on my next trip.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Susan

Hi Sarah! The GWV trip in October 2001 for us was $2200 total. That included air from Boston, airport transfers, taxes, etc. While there, we rented a car a couple of days, which cost $55 a day. We went grocery shopping at a little place up the road from the Carimar, and I found eggs, bread, cheese, fruits, pasta, soup to be no more than here in New Hampshire. Milk was a bit more, however. Now, this was a Mom and Pop shop, but there is a fairly large grocery store in the "heart of the city" and had everything from cake mix to steaks, to chicken to various drinks, etc. Almost the size of a Market Basket or DeMoula's! We brought a total of $600 spending, and did spend it all on cigars, t-shirts, car rental, groceries, etc. We probably could have brought less cash but that was an amount we felt comfortable bringing. And, of course, what you bring you spend! I have also been to Turks and Caicos a couple of times. The first time I went "the" place to stay was either the Ramada (now something else) or Club Med. Those were the only two places. Obviously, I has changed and I saw that the second time we went in 1993. I personally prefer Anguilla, but my husband claims that Turks & Caicos is still his favorite. Good luck.