Reload this Page >

Questions about Montego Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Jana

My husband and I and 3 sons ages 19,22,and 24 are going to Montego Bay for our Christmas present. I have several questions:<BR>1. Money-do I buy Jamaican money, travelers checks, or bring cash?<BR>2. Should we make reservations for food and golf before we get there.<BR>3. Can you rent golf clubs?<BR>4. How bad is customs there and back?<BR>5. Do they ask everyone for passports or birth certificates?<BR>6. How do we make sure we get a good room at the Wyndham Rose Hall where we will be staying. I don't want to get there and have to bother with that.<BR>7. What are the best restaurants on Montego Bay, we love seafood and Mexican but there are five of us.<BR>8. Where is the best place for bar entertainment for my sons.<BR>9. We were thinking about bringing our own liquor as we don't have all-inclusive. Can you buy wine, beer or alcohol there just as cheap?<BR>10. Does the hotel offer transportation from the airport?<BR><BR>Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. After all this will be the only Christmas present for us.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Davce

Hi Jana. I can answer a few. Don't bother converting your $. You may get change back in Jamaican currency from vendors. Golf clubs can be rented at most places. Some require you to hire a &quot;caddie&quot; for about $20. Call them first. Customs is not bad at all. Just ensure no one brings home any Jamaican contraban. You will need a raised seal or official stamped birth certificate plus a photo ID like a drivers license. I also pack our wedding certificate for my wife's name change. Buy your liquor there, it's cheap. Get a good cabbie to show you around and take you shopping. The hotel can recommend one.<BR>Marguritaville (spelling) is in Mo Bay and a nice club for the evenings.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 04:33 AM
tivertonhouse

1)The Gemini Shop on Gloucester is the best-rate cambio for currency exchange.Bring small US 1s,5s as well for tips. Traveller's cheques advisable.<BR>US dollars accepted everywhere in MoBay.<BR>2)Reserve golf tee times in advance,clubs and caddies at your course/Tryall is the best course tho new White Witch is good<BR>4)Standard security checks at customs;nothing horrific/bring a book to pass time. 5)Valid passport or photo id/original or notarized copy of birth certificate mandatory 6)Akbar is good for Indian;Tapas, Round Hill, Glistening Waters in Falmouth also good<BR>8)Gloucester/hip strip/Margueritaville for sons 9)Only island-brands (rum,Tia Maria,etc.)cheap;good scotch/rye/bourbon/whisky/WINES expensive -- bubble wrap your favorites,esp.if you drink an esoteric brand like Grey Goose vodka,and bring in your carry-on luggage/2 bottles per passenger,duty-free. Red Stripe is cheap everywhere on island. If you smoke,bring a carton/cigs expensive as well. Go buy a Rough Guide to Jamaica or Lonely Planet for info.<BR>

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:57 PM
DeeDee

Jana, you might want to consider doing the AI with 3 boys that age at least a couple of days at the Wyndham. The hotel bars and restaurants will not let you pay cash for anything it must be charged to the room. The food and drinks there are expensive and it adds up quickly.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 12:33 PM
bree

Hi Jana,<BR><BR>I Just returned from Wyndham Rose Hall in Montego Bay (7 days). I would recommend a snorkeling trip from the hotel ($45) which includes a trip to Margaritaville that your sons would enjoy. The pools at the hotel are wonderful. They both have swim up bars and offer food. The hotel also has a dance club. <BR><BR>There is a small place on the ride from the airport (Schotchie or Scotties) that has the best jerk chicken in Jamaica. I would be glad to answer any more questions that you have.