Search

Question for Callalou

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Callalou

Callalou- Have you ever been to Roatan? If so, I would be very interested in reading a trip report or knowing what you thought! You seem to enjoy the same kind of places that we do- I am just starting to research it. I am posting here because I don't know if you read the Central America forum. Thanks for your reply! Ish
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 05:41 AM

Hi Ish. I haven't been to Roatan; as far as Central America goes, I've been twice to Belize and LOVED IT -- planning to go back next year (fingers crossed). My sister stopped in Roatan on a cruise and really liked it. She's not really a cruise person, but went on a dive-oriented trip. She can do without cruising again, but said she would go back to dive.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Not only am I not a cruiser but I usually try very hard to avoid places where they even have cruise ship stops (that industry has ruined some wonderful land vacation places in my opinion). When I started reading about Roatan I wasn't immediately aware that cruise ships visited it but then I started reading more and definitely would not want to stay at a resort/hotel/inn where they have "day passes" for cruise ship passengers- many of them do- yikes. If I am choosing a place because it is quiet and low key I don't want an extra 100 plus people descending on me. I am now looking more at the east end that seems much more remote than the west end where the cruise visitors come in.
Thanks for the reply. I am also lnterested in Little Corn Island off of Nicaragua since a TA correspondent mentioned it to me. Where are you off to this year? We are headed to Virgin Gorda and Anegada (it has been on my bucket list for a long time) in 4 weeks and cannot wait. Happy travels! Ish
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:14 AM

Little Corn sounds interesting to me, too, but seems awfully difficult to reach.

Our plans for this year include sailing in the Exumas (soon!) on our friends' boat. Later in the year, we are splitting a week between Nevis and St. Kitts. But the bucket list keeps growing!

You will love Virgin Gorda, and especially Anegada. You've got to visit the Baths, but do it early or late -- before/after the daytrippers arrive.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

I know- guess that is why it looks so unspoiled- a plane, plane, hopper plane,then smallish open boat "ferry"- maybe some day, though! Roatan sounds much easier to get to with the airport where big planes can land right on the island.
Hope your Exuma adventure is wonderful- I am envious- love the Exumas- have never been to Nevis or St. Kitts so I will look forward to reading your reports.
Happy Travels! Ish