Reload this Page >

Quaint hotel on the beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 1999, 07:30 AM
dina

My husband and I are looking for a top hotel, but with quaintness. We do not enjoy the large, overbearing types with massive amounts of guests on the beach. Any suggestions of a good getaway in a nice area on the beach? <BR> <BR>Also, is the weather too hot in late April, early May?

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 04:52 AM
Leslie

Have you considered St. Lucia. I've heard so many wonderful things about Anse Chastanet, an intimate resort on the best dive/snorkel beach in st. lucia.....in the most untouched, natural part of St. Lucia. We did not stay here, but did visit this area of ST. Lucia & I can promise you it is the most beautiful part of this beautiful island! I can promise it must be private and intimate: as many celebrities (Harrison Ford for one) stay here when on holidays. <BR> <BR>They have a website at : <BR>www.ansechastanet.com

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 05:43 AM
Sue

In January, we stayed in Mexico some miles outside Playa del Carmen - absolutely in the middle of nowhere! One morning we wandered about three miles down the beach and arrived at an absolutely beautiful, quaint, small, clearly extremely expensive, hotel on a perfect stretch of beach. On enquiring of one of the guests we learned the place is called Maroma. It has apparently been highlighted in the Robb Report and the Conde Nast travel magazine as a perfect get away from it all vacation. You might want to check it out.

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 05:44 AM
dina

Thanks for the reply. I will look into it. <BR> <BR>Although we are looking for some quaintness in a hotel, my husband loves to golf and we like to see some culture as well. We thought Barbados would offer this. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 10:47 AM
Laura

Dina, might I suggest Manchebo Hotel in Aruba. It is a lovely small resort on the most beautiful stretch of beach in Aruba. Check out their website at: <BR>www.manchebo.com <BR> <BR>The weather is constant in Aruba all year round at about 80 degrees with a stiff breeze so it doesn't feel that hot. <BR> <BR>There is a gold course on the island called Tierra del Sol. <BR> <BR>I would be glad to answer any questions you might have about Aruba. <BR> <BR>Laura

Old Jan 27th, 1999, 01:53 PM
Jen

Dina, <BR> <BR>I think Coral Reef Club on the West coast of Barbados is the type of hotel you are looking for. My husband and I spent a September honeymoon there in '92, and it was one of the most pleasant experiences of our life. It can be quite expensive, although April-May is shoulder season so rates should be down. Also, some travel agents offer package deals for weekly rates that can be cheaper than booking yourself (most American travel agents do not seem to know about it though, as it is very small). The hotel is in the Elegant Small Hotel registry (something like that) and is described in great detail in a book called "Best Places to Stay in the Carribean" (great resource for unique hotel properaties). Coral Reef Club is run by an extremely friendly family, most guests are British or Scottish (we were one of 2 American couples at the hotel), and has the atmosphere of a B&B. There are independent cottages, and a wonderul main cottage with 4 guestrooms (we stayed there) - there are also some more standard rooms at the back of the property in a single more hotel-like unit (don't stay there). The main area of the hotel is on the beach, while cottages are either beachfont, or set back from the beach in nice gardens. Breakfast is brought to your room every day, dinner is wonderful and served on a waterfront terrace, and some non-motorized water sports are included. It is not big and fancy(e.g., simple small swimming pool), but it really grows on you. There are dine around priveleges with the other first rate hotels on the West Coast (Sandy Lane, Royal Pavilion, etc.). The staff was wonderful. Most visitors are repeat customers (we will be going back soon). The owners even send Christmas cards to guests. Well, this is probably getting too long, but I could talk about Barbados all day. Feel free to contact me if you would like more information. Hope you find what you are looking for! <BR> <BR>Jen

Old Jan 31st, 1999, 08:19 AM
Diane

You might like the Inn on the Blue Horizon, or Hacienda Tamarindo on Vieques Island, off the coast of Puerto Rico. Fly into San Juan and take a quick hop flight into Vieques -- one of the most lovely little airports and a welcome relief after San Juan's! These two properties are next to each other, but beautifully and privately situated on a gem of an island. The grounds are breathtaking. The sounds of birds and frogs are soothing. You can (and should) arrange for a night-time of the bio-luminiscent Bay. (And be prepared to swim in it, too!) You'd want to rent a 4WD for at least part of your stay, to visit some of the extraordinary beaches on the Navy bases, and the fun bars/restaurants on the lovely malecon beachfront in Esperanza. On any beach in Vieques, you will be one of a handful of people. The Cafe Blu, at the Inn, is probably one of the best restaurants I've ever found in the Caribbean. It was certainly better than anywhere I've been in San Juan. Weather is constantly between 80-88degrees F.

Old Feb 12th, 1999, 11:38 PM
Mark

The Jelouise Hilton in st. Lucia is intimate and laid back. Housing is in small, cosy houses. Drawback....when it rains heavily...the water doesn't work...no flushing..no showering....