Punta Cana or Riviera Maya??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - Not sure if any of you have been to both, but any recommendation on which spot is better would be appreciated. I am getting married in June and we will be going on a short honeymoon in early July - looking for an all-inclusive with a beautiful beach, don't need 5 star accommodations, but want a clean, nice place with good food. We will be taking a bigger trip in September and want to be economical for this trip to save up for Greece in September. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!!

P.S. Considering Dreams Tulum in Riviera Maya and Barcelo Beach Caribe in Punta Cana.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 02:13 AM

I think the main diff. is that in Riviera Maya you can get out and explore. There's towns to visit and shop and enjoy nightlife (Akumal, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun), ruins, ferry to cozumel, etc. In Punta Cana there is really nothing but your hotel. So you are kind of stuck.

On the other hand, the beaches in the Punta Cana area are gorgeous and you can walk for ever on these beautiful palm-lined beaches.

We never stayed at the hotels you are asking about. In Rivera Maya we've stayed at Iberostar Toucan, good food-beach eroding fast-walk to Playa del Carmen, Barcelo Maya, didn't enjoy the food--great beach, Bahia Principe, it was brand new so food was "eh" and beach was nice, and Secrets Capri, food excellent-beach fab..can walk for a long ways (no resorts on either side. Highly recommend Secrets Capri.

In Punta Cana we stayed at Melia Caribe Tropical, good food and gorgeous beaches.

Hope that helps.

Peace, Greenie
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Would disagree with "greenie".... more bang for your $$ in the D.R.... True, except for La Romana you can't go running around, but who needs to be attacked by time sharing salesmen in Mexico every few feet.. Dollar for dollar your best bet is the D.R. where there are fabulous beaches, welcoming people and good food... Our favorite finally after trying the different areas is Sunscape Casa del Mar...although you may prefer Sunscape the Beach...the newest... After being in Mexico in "off season" and paying wha would be "in season" prices there.. .I felt we were just another tourist...but not in the D.R.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Altough I would go back to Punta Cana because of it's beautiful beach, I still love the Mayan Riviera. In Punta Cana there is not much to do off the resort and the food was not as good a Mexico. You must brush your teeth and drink only bottled water in Punta Cana and there is more chance of getting sick.

In Mayan Riviera, they still have beautiful white sand beaches with clear turquoise water, but there is much more to do off the resorts if you want. The food is better and you can brush your teeth with the tap water and I only drink bottled water, simply because it tastes better, but have also drank the tap water and have never gotten sick in the many times we have been to this area of Mexico. I would recommend you stay away from Cancun, unless you are into Americanization and timeshare people attacking you and college party central scene. Further south, Playa del Carmen is more like old Mexico with wonderful new resorts. In my personal opinion, the further south you go of Playa del Carmen the better it is.

Have a wonderful honeymoon.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Just returned from Akumal (a short drive North of Tulum) and own a timeshare at the Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana. The beaches at both locations are equally as nice, but there's so much more to do in the Riviera Maya: snorkeling with the turtles in Akumal Bay, swimming in the Yal Ku Lagoon, snorkeling in cenotes (fresh water caverns/caves), visiting the Mayan ruins (Tulum, Chichen Itza, et al), taking the ferry from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel, to name a few. I haven't been back to my timeshare in the D.R., since discovering the areas of Cancun, Cozumel and the Riviera Maya. Luckily, I can do internal exchanges for Melia resorts in Mexico.