Search

Bermuda Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda Trip Report

Just returned yesterday from Bermuda and had a wonderful time. Wanted to share for those who may be headed there....

I found a good deal on expedia...airfare from NYC and 5 nights at Fairmont Southampton for $800/person. The Fairmont Southampton would not have been my first choice for a hotel in Bermuda...I normally prefer the smaller hotels with character over the bigger chain resorts when vacationing...but at this price I thought it was too good to pass up. I also think the big resort stay can be more relaxing. The hotel room was nice, nothing special but fine, and the staff was very friendly. Really liked the location of the hotel....it is minutes from Horseshoe Bay, Church Bay where we snorkled, and Warwick Long Bay. It is also a short drive from Elbow Beach.

We paid an extra $65/person when we got to the hotel to have unlimited access to the spa and fitness area during our stay, which included access to the indoor pool, sauna, and deck with jacuzzi tubs that had a really beautiful view overlooking the ocean. Hotels guests who do not join the spa have access to the pool and outdoor deck w/jacuzzis only after 6:30pm. I thought the spa area was really lovely and peaceful....but I did not go for any spa treatments during the stay as they were more than I was willing to pay....around $150 for an hour massage.

There were more families with children at the hotel than couples which I was not expecting. Agree with others that the hotel's beach was quite rocky...but was fine for relaxing the day we arrived there.....they have plenty of lounge chairs and huts/umbrellas for shade.

We rented a scooter for the duration of our stay, and thought this was a really enjoyable way to see the island.....we breathed in the smell of flowers while admiring the beautiful ocean views along the southshore beaches. You are able to take the scooter on some of the ferries which we did one day to take us from the Dockyard to Hamilton. Would recommend experiencing a ferry ride during the stay....ours was only $4 a person and another nice way to see Bermuda.

We had heard good things about the food in Bermuda, but only went to a few places I would recommend. Our first night we had dinner nearby at Henry VIII....and enjoyed a really wonderful chauteubriand for two, perfectly cooked, and a raspberry cremebrulee. Service was excellent.

We also enjoyed the food, and views of course, at the nearby Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. It was close and we enjoyed it so much we went back 3 times during our stay. We went for breakfast and lunch....but they are also open for dinner Friday and Saturday. If you like avocado....go for the Avocado Melt with fried egg, avocado, tomato and a cheese sauce over their wonderful bread. They also make refreshing drinks made from a mix of teas, fruits and herbs that are well worth sampling.

The most disappointing meal of the trip, particularly when combined with the hype and the high price tag, was at the Waterlot Inn. Food and service just not at all worth the money. In fact, even w/a more reasonable price tag would never go back there.

As for nightlife, most nights a late dinner was our night out, however on Friday night we had the privledge of checking out Hubie's Place. This was one of the highlights of our trip.....the band was excellent and the crowd a nice mix of locals and tourists. Enjoyed hitting the dance floor with Leroy....an older local who tore up the dance floor with almost every young woman in the place. The place had such a wonderful energy about it....I couldn't stop smiling the entire time we were there. Music starts at 7:30 but ends at 10 when the bar closes, so get there early and enjoy.

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:18 PM

I am booking my trip to Bermuda end of the week and I am planning on the Southampton Princess. Were you in the moderate rooms and if so did you have a view? My other option but I don't think the hotel has all the restaurants open is Elbow Beach - did you happen to go by there. We are flying from Boston so I think rates are pretty much the same in November. Thanks for all the pointers.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

We were on the 5th floor with what I believe they call a "north view" which means you have are not really overlooking the ocean but more a town view. The view was still nice, particularly just after sunset. We were over the roof which I knew was a possibility when I booked the hotel, but because we were higher up it was not a bad view. You may want to request a south view overlooking the ocean just so you are not overlooking the roof at all. Also...I believe unless you are on the 6th floor you will not have a king bed but two doubles instead; you may want to check this with the hotel if you have a preference. I would also warn against another hotel restaurant if you stay there...we also ate at the hotel bar Jasmine, and did not have a good experience w/the food there either, although the server was excellent.

We were at Elbow Beach but just drove by the hotel. We did not have any meals there, so I'm not sure whether all restaurants have reopened. We thought Elbow Beach was pretty and also not very crowded. There are a number of hotels in this area if you are not planning on an all inclusive and want to dine close to the hotel.

If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM

thanks for getting back so quickly. I posted quite a way back about info. This is for our 35th Anniversary and my husband always has liked staying at larger hotels and we have stayed at different Fairmonts in the past and both liked them. We were thinking of doing the meal plan there since we will be only doing 4 nights and saw that there were quite a few choices there. Of course we will do lunches out of the hotel. Beaches are important but not the number 1 for my husband since he rarely goes to the beach but I do enjoy a few hours on a beach. This is more of a sentimental trip since we were there back in 1969 when we were married and at that time stayed at Harmony Hall (old name). Thanks again for the info.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 07:19 PM

$800 sounds like a deal for 5 nights at the FSHP ... I have paid $2000 for 2 for 4 nights from EWR at their sister holel (off season). If you go off season, as I do, you will find less children there. And if they are there, they were VERY well behaved.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:01 AM

anncat- if you do the meal plan at SHP, remember that you can take the ferry over to the Hamilton Princess and eat at Harley's. We have eaten there a few times, and enjoyed our meals there. Also, we enjoy the food at the Whaler at the SHP, although the atmosphere is more casual.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I just booked the trip for the Southampton. Also, got the meal plan and upgraded to a Fairmont room. I will definitely give a full report when we get back. Plan on trying a few places for lunch while there also.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 04:06 AM
TG

My wife and I are considering a visit in April 2005 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. For our honeymoon we stayed at Elbow Beach. Back then jackets and ties were required at dinner, as Bermuda was then very formal. Are things still this way on the island?
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Bermuda is less formal now! But it still has all the charm, and IMHO looks better than ever. I was there 25yrs ago,
and go almost every year. Just had dinner at The Seahorse Grill at Elbow,
not one jacket! Yes, you can still wear one at Waterloo House, and a few other places, I must admit I love the Bermuda shorts-jacket look! My husband even has the socks!