Search

Punta Cana...Iberostar

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Bonnie

Punta Cana...Iberostar

Hello fellow travelers. My husband and I are vacationing at the Iberostar Punta Cana in the DR from Aug 20-27. Does anyone have any info to offer us? Is anyone else planning a stay during this time? What's the correct information about drinking mixed drinks while there? Is it safe to drink frozen drinks or drinks with ice??? Also, what about eating salads and fruits that have been washed in their water?? Don't want to be sick on our long awaited vacation. Thanks for any help!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:47 AM
rqf

You can read reviews at <BR>http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/ <BR>Was in Punta Cana last December. Stayed at Barcelo Bavaro Beach Palace. Did eat the salads and did use ice with my drinks. Didn't have any problems.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 02:34 AM
anne

We've stayed at the Iberostar Punta Cana twice and had a wonderful time. It's a great resort on a gorgeous stretch of beach! Purified water is used for ice in drinks, bottled water is provided as needed / requested in your room frig. We used it to brush teeth as well .. no point in taking chances. In the dining rooms purified water is served. We ate salads, fruits etc with abandon and had no problems. This is a first class resort and like others in the 4 / 5 star category they will go to great lengths to ensure that your vacation is not troubled by nasties. That said, there is no way anyone can guarantee that illness can't befall even the most cautious .. I've been sick after eating in a restaurant in my hometown. Most carib difficulties are caused by overindulgence in rum or the equivalent, sun and unfamiliar foods although few would admit to such. Take gravol/dramamine, immodium, pepto-bismal and lots of high octane sunscreen with you just for peace of mind. <BR>PS. Fax the hotel a few days prior, requesting a room on the highest floor available (4th I think) on the front (pool side) and close to the beach. That way you have a lovely oceanview from your balcony.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 01:31 PM
patty

Bonnie: Spent a week at the Iberostar last spring and found it absolutely delightful. All of the restaurant water and ice is purified, although we did use the bottled water provided in our room for brushing teeth. Never had a moment of trouble from the food, drinks of any kind, or the ice. We cruise and travel quite a bit, and this resort was one of the very top for us as far as room accomodations and beauty of the resort and beach. Have a great time! We are planning another trip down there for this coming March!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Bonnie

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to my post. You really helped me feel better about my apprehensions.Will most certainly post a message to let you all know how my trip went when we return. Thanks!!! <BR>Bonnie

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:02 AM
anne

Bonnie: <BR>Last minute thought .. in case you aren't told right away, your Punta Cana bracelet is good at any bar and restaurant with the exception of the ones in the "Bavaro" section and the "gourmet restaurant" .. surcharge applies. And don't feel you are missing anything at the Bavaro. We were transferred there overnight due to a flight delay the last time down, and I wouldn't choose to pay the price difference. Do post when you get back .. maybe you'll cast the deciding vote ..for us it's a toss up between the Iberostar in Punta Cana and one in Mexico this winter.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Liz

Anne - if you're still looking at posts, or anyone...I realize that Iberostar Punta Cana and Dominicana are twin resorts and staying at one means playing at two. Is it so that if you stay at Iberostar Bavaro you can use the facilities of all 3 properties? I have checked Debbie's site for this info and can't seem to get a clear answer. Thanks to anyone who might know.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Bonnie

Well... we have returned from our trip to the Iberostar Punta Cana. The resort is very lovely, the people are friendly and do everything they can to make sure you have a wonderful vacation. There is quite a bit of walking from actual hotel area to lobby, to eating areas etc. Everything is open air(meaning no air conditioning)with the exception of your room, the Mexican and the International Restaurant. Make sure when you arrive, you book your choices for fine dining, as it is only by reservation. We stayed for 7 nites so we booked dinner at these restaurants for 3 evenings. We chose Italian also which was not good by American standards.The rest of the week, dinner was in the buffet area. The food was plentiful but not the best. If you go hungry though, it is your own fault as there should be something you like. <BR>My husband enjoyed eyeing the "scenery" on the beach....LOTS of topless as well as many (men and women) in thongs! There are tours available which one can book through their representative. We chose not to do so as it was just too damn HOT to enjoy touring.When we arrived, there was an American standing in the lobby and he saw how I was perspiring. He came up and said to me"Don't worry, you'll get used to the heat by the end of the week" He was right. It was very humid the entire time we were there but I actually was getting used to it. My husband and I both felt that the 7 nites there was a tad too long. 5 nites would have been fine. No bugs in our room except tiny little ants which we realized came from the Hibiscus flowers the maid put in our room daily. Do not leave anything sweet around... I left an opened bottle of coke on my dresser, with the lid on, and when we came back, the dresser was full of ants.And... we were on the 3rd floor! Also, be aware of the elevators...halfway through the week, ours stopped working. When I attempted to use it one day,it took more than 4 minutes to reach the 3rd floor!!!!! Believe me... I was beginning to panic! <BR>We do not speak Spanish but managed to communicate just fine. The staff is wonderful, and the entertainment that was put on nightly in the Dominicana was really very good even if most of it was in Spanish. The music was American and it was based on American theater and music.These kids performing are called Star Friends and really do an outstanding job! <BR>We enjoyed our trip but found the heat to be just more than we were ready for. If you can handle humidity....try this place. It's a great deal and a lovely resort.