Puerto Rico Itinerary

Jan 31st, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Puerto Rico Itinerary

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Puerto Rico in either February or March. We would like to visit San Juan (for night life, Condado beaches, and Old San Juan) El Yunque, Vieques (for the bioluminescent bay), and Culebra (for Playa Flamenco).

We plan on staying for 4-5 nights.

What is the best way to do all of these things?

and is there still a ferry running between Vieques and Culebra? I have been finding conflicting information.
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:46 AM

there is no ferry from vieques to culebra. I wish there is. When my family is here in March, we will have to ferry from vieques to fajardo and then take the fajardo to culebra ferry, will end up being 3 hours of ferry time to do that. Then if you want to stay all day and take the 5 pm ferry back to fajardo, you will need to do it on a weekday. there is a late ferry from fajardo to vqs on weekdays.
Last year there was also a fast ferry out of san juan which serviced both islands.
But if you fly air flamenco from vqs to cul, it is only $25 pp each way. That is almost the cheapest was to go and saves much time!
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:15 PM

First of all, this is WAY too much to try to do in 4 or 5 days. You need to limit yourself to either San Juan and El Yunque or San Juan and Vieques OR Culebra (not both). If you do one of the smaller islands, then bookend your stay with a night in San Juan on each end, or fly straight to Vieques or Culebra and then end your stay in San Juan. El Yunque can be done easily as a one-day trip out of San Juan.
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:36 AM

blah - there MAYBE a ferry running, back when we went in february 2005, there was a once a day vieque-culebra-vieque ferry monday to friday. now i see it noted that they are only wednesdays. may be a good idea to call the ports OR your hotel and ask - have your spanish handy!
Vieques local ferry dock office T. 787-741-4761

Feb 8th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! After a good amount of research and trying to figure out times and flights and hotels, we have decided to spend our entire vacation in Vieques. Afterall, we are going on vacation to "get away from it all"... so Vieques seems like the perfect place- and we won't have to worry about tons of tourists or spring-breakers.

We are staying at Casa Alta Vista. Has anyone stayed there? I read some good things about it on viequestravelguide.com
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Vieques for the week is a great choice!! You can always leave a day early and spend your last day and night in Old San Juan, if you have never been there!