Puerto Rico birthday trip!

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Rico birthday trip!

we are headed to Puerto Rico mid-October for a friends b-day and we are now struggling with things to do. We are staying at the Mare St Clair Hotel and there are 4 ladies going. We want to do a rum tasting tour and a rainforest tour/hike. What else should we plan to do while there? Are there any good restaurants you can recommend for the area for us?
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know because I've never been to Puerto Rico, but this month's Bon Appetit has a feature on restaurants in San Juan.

https://www.bonappetit.com/gallery/w...an-puerto-rico
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Forum Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moved from US to Caribbean Forum.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been to San Juan many times but never heard of that hotel. I googled it and it is in the Isla Verde area. I am wondering if it is the old San Juan Towers that has been renamed. Isla Verde is very close to the airport. It's a really nice wide stretch of beach. You will be close to El San Juan Hotel and Resort. I recommend you visit their lobby bar one weekend evening for their live music and dancing. It's really nice and a lot of local people go for the evening. As far as restaurants, previously, the Isla Verde area was pretty reliant on hotel restaurants, which were quite good. However, I don't know about now. I haven't been there since Hurricane Maria but I know the Ritz Carlton still hasn't re-opened and so there is no BLT Steak or Il Mulino anymore. El San Juan Hotel had several good restaurants prior to Hurricane Maria but now when I go to their website, I only see a couple listed. In any event, there is always the Metropol, which is a favorite among locals and tourists alike. We go there every time we are in Isla Verde. Cuban/Puerto Rican food. My favorite is the smoked chicken but lots of choices on the menu.

As far as activities, definitely visit Old San Juan and El Morro one morning or, if you want to have dinner in Old San Juan (which is chock full of restaurants) go in the late afternoon or early evening, walk around a bit and then go to dinner. I'd avoid going midday though as it get awfully hot walking around those cobblestone streets.