provos arrival and shopping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be arriving on a saturday flight to the provos, from charlotte, at 2:20 for a week long villa stay...from the experienced travelers that go to the provos, will we have time to go grocery shopping that afternoon? We have to go through customs, right, then our car should be there at airport and drive to villa on Spadillo Bay. I welcome any suggestions or comments. We need food for dinner, etc. and would love to go ahead and get the shopping done that day.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:53 AM

The supermarkets in Provo (there's no "s" in Provo by the way ;-) ) are open until 10pm and are fully stocked. You'll have no problems. Small island, it will only take about 15 minutes from the furthest spots.

Customs takes about 15-30 minutes depending on where you sat on the plane. Probably takes about 15 minutes to get to any villa from the airport.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Blamona and thanks for correcting me on the island name...don't want to sound ignorant. I heard that there was a newer grocery close to the golf course, would it be worth it to go to that one, or just go to the one on Leeward Hwy, closer to our villa? If there is a difference in quality, we definitly want the higher quality. Also, heard that Los Brisas was a restuarant close to our villa, have you been there?
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM

i don't think you'll save any time looking for the newer grocery. the older & i believe larger store is on the leeward hwy. when you leave sopadilla area you'll be headed back towards the airport. about 2/3 of the way the road splits, near a boggy area with odd sculptures in the water. you'll have come in from the airport via the left fork. take the right fork. this brings you out on leeward hwy at the bottom of a small hill, turn right then note business park area on left. remember this mall area so you'll know where to turn on way back to villa. it's a ways out to the grocery, but you can't miss it so keep going. you go through 2 roundabouts - just watch what others are doing to go through. it's an IGA in a mall and on your right. you can find/check out the other grocery when you're out touring about. you will pass 2 other small groceries on way to IGA. skip them for first night they don't have good variety.
i can't recall where discount liqours is but i think it's on leeward on your way to grocery also on right. we like to pick up as much as possible from duty free on the way to islands but then always need to buy more anyway. << jeez that sounds like we are total lushes lol.
we always do villa trips and actually prefer to stock what we need for overnight then go back for the big shop the next day after we've gotten settled, aren't desparate to be on the beach, are less tired/delirious and see what the house needs that we might not have thought of.
we take a large cooler full of stuff, but we also take some things in our checked suitcase like tuna packs, pb&j, coffee/tea, cereal & for kids mac & cheese. take or buy large supply sandwich & giant size zip-locs. EVERYthing needs to be sealed or you'll draw bugs and things will get stale a/or soggy! freeze everything that fits even cracker & especially chocolate which does not like the heat. don't forget to buy a bag or 2 of ice. it melts oh so fast and you'll run through it like water through a sieve. also if you know what you're going to eat and will need spices - take them with you again in checked bag. it's a pain to buy a $9.00 bottle of seasoning only to use a tsp. prepare to pay a lot for certain items like frozen juices, nice vinegars, dairy products. the ice cream is quite good - creamy. even if your villa has a jug of water i advise you buy cases of pint bottles to take onto the beach and when you go places. freeze some overnight, they'll start to melt in about 15 mins.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

that's great advice Virgina. Maybe we should wait till the morning to go shopping. is it safe to venture out at night to store? what are some of your dinner ideas for first night? Do you think the south dock would have fish for us to buy and grill or would we go to the turtle cove marina? what kinda bugs were you talking about?
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM

The fishermen at South Dock (Five Cays) start showing up around 3:30.

Supermarkets are open until 10pm. They are large and well stocked, like you would find in the States. The 1 on Leeward Hwy and the one on Grace Bay are the same company--IGA. The one on the hwy is a little more stocked, the one on Grace Bay a little more gourmet. Both have excellent delis.

I wouldn't cook the first night-get your bearings.

Turtle Cove Marina doesn't sell fish.

Las Brisas is across the road at Sapadilla Bay-would make a good dinner, or depending on the day of the week what I would decide.

www.WhereWhenHow.tc for restaurants and menus

It's a tiny island-from Sapadilla Bay would take 20 minutes to any restaurant.

You can order a magazine copy of WhereWhenHow.com or pick one up for free at the airport, including the restaurant guide too. You can order a copy before you go-help get your bearings.

As for safety, there have been occassional break-ins-use common sense, sleep with doors and windows closed, if you leave the villa lock the doors and windows. Leave valuables hidden, not exposed in rental cars. You'll be fine.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM

some of our favorite island dinners:
chicken ceasar salad -perfect if you can grill the chicken. if you do tons of chicken you have leftovers for chicken salad lunch the next day.
shrimp scampi
grilled steaks with sauteed mushrooms, baked french fries salad or veggie
of course cheeseburgers
grilled lamb racks - we bring these not sure provo has them
any grilled fish
we often plan a night of just appetizers and fabu dessert.
we like to grill as much as possible to avoid heating up the kitchen too much.
my travel pal makes crab cakes to bring & sautes them.

sometimes we eat out the first night - if we're on island early enough to settle in, swim, shower and dress again otherwise we've done anyhting from steaks to tuna sandwiches.