Notices

Provo or St. John's?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:53 PM
Maureen

Provo or St. John's?

My husband and I are looking for a relaxing getaway to celebrate our 25th anniversary(!). We want beautiful beaches, sun and sand. We do enjoy dining out, but not really into a big party atmosphere. We'd appreciate a comparison of these destinations from people who've done both, and also recommendations for places to stay. We'd like a place right on the beach with oceanfront or oceanview room. We're hoping to stay under $200 per night. We're travelling in mid June. Thanks for any help you can give us!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Bab

I'd have to recommend St. John (or nearly any other island) over Provo, which is actually more desolate than "secluded". I think a lot of people who go enjoy a Club Med type atmosphere. I have been to many other Caribbean islands, and hands-down Provo was my least favorite.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:53 PM
e

St John, and stay at Gallows Pt or the Westin.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:16 AM
lori

I have been to both islands and they are both wonderful. St. John has more natural beauty, a cute town and more places to day trip around to. Provo has a gorgeous beach and we stayed at a gorgeous hotel and basically didn't leave the 6 mile beach except to go snorkeling and sailing. I think in Provo its easier and cheaper to find a room that is right on the beach...

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:35 AM
MarthaS

St. John lush and hilly with great views, small coves and seculuded beaches and good places to dine. You might be lucky to get one of the rooms offered on Priceline at the Westin - some are getting rooms at $70 - 80 a night. Not beachfront or oceanview really but a place to hang your hat when you visit the beaches. Provo is arid, one beautiful beach with all resorts on it. Other than beaching it, Provo has little to offer but your chances of beachfront are better there in your price range.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:13 AM
JMM

Disagree with Bab completely(However everyone does have different tastes in islands). We are NOT Club Med type people (have never been to one) and Provo is our favorite caribbean island (We have been to many others).
Why - Quiet,gorgeous long beach,great snorkeling,VERY safe
However - Provo is not particularly scenic (although the northwest shore - up Malcom Roads has some lovely little coves) Provo is a desert island - its beauty is all under water.
St. John's has gorgeous scenery.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Why???

Why are so many folks under the impression that they can go to a beautiful island like St John or T&C and expect to get an oceanfront room for under $200? Unless you plan on staying in a tent, I think you need to be a bit more realistic.