Prettiest Island?

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:06 AM
van

Prettiest Island?

I'm tired of traveling to parts of the caribbean that look beautiful on the brochures, then you get there and see that the only pretty areas are at the resorts. The island itself is ugly. So many of my friends think the entire cariebbean looks like Hawaii, when in reality it is staged.

Is there as island where the entire thing is gorgeous? Please ehlp.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:47 AM
kate

I've heard that pictures don't do St. Lucia justice. Haven't been there yet myself but I'm getting married there in December. Of course, not every inch of any island can be beautiful.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:55 AM
lisa

We did find that the part of St. Lucia where we stayed -- southwest coast near Soufriere (around the Pitons where Ladera/Jalousie Hilton/Anse Chastanet resorts are located) was much prettier than the pictures. The scenery was amazing. However, I would not say that every bit of St. Lucia was gorgeous. But I don't know of anyplace where that's true (I guess maybe if it were a really tiny island...).

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Kay

Van:

I just got back from spending my honeymoon in St. Lucia 5 ngihts at Ladera in the south where the view are absolutely unbeliveable and stunning everywhere. I also spent 3 nights at teh new Hyatt on teh causway to Pigeon Island where the view are beautiful too. We drove from the south to the north part of the island and we stopped many many times to get pictures of the view. I ahve been to many islands in the Caribbean and this one is amazing.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 06:08 PM
tweedy

Oh I have a good one for you, Harbour Island in the Bahamas is regularly named one of the 10 most beautiful islands in the world. The beach is amazing and the whole island looks like a 1700's fishing village, (which it was).

There are several nice resorts and restaurants and the beach is deserted most of the time (never been able to figure out why).

You can fly from Florida or Nassau into N. Eleuthera airport or better yet is to take the ferry from Nassau.

Hope this helps some. There is a website with more info www.briland.com
(if you say Harbour Island 3 times very fast you get "briland" and that is what the natives and Harbour Island wantabees call it)

Have a wonderful vacation wherever you choose to go.

tweedy

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 09:25 AM
amber

Tortola in the British Virgin Islands are stunning. Very lush & tropical. Exactly what you would expect from a caribbean Island.

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Doug

My vote is for St.John. Not as "lush" as St.Lucia but almost completely undeveloped because of the national park.

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 08:59 PM
Louis

If you really mean what you say, Tobago is the island that has the flora and fauna from South American. It is truly tropical nature. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In the Virgin Islands, I think St. John and Virgin Gorda offers a lot. Guana Island, a private island is a prize in that area. The Grenedines offer a more tropical look than the islands further north. I know of no island in the Caribbean that looks like Hawaii to us. Just consider the drive to Hana for example. Everything from geology, flora and fauna is different and the Pacific isles have their own charm. However, I don't know where you have been in the Caribbean. Perhaps you have expected the wrong thing. I never look at travel broshures as often the photos are not even from the same location. Perhaps it is time to go to the South Pacific or Bali or other areas near there.