Pompano Beach Club or The Reefs in Bermuda?

Apr 25th, 2000, 07:12 PM
KT

Pompano Beach Club or The Reefs in Bermuda?

My husband and I are planning a week's vacation in August and have decided on traveling to Bermuda. We are looking into both properties and they seem equally impressive. We are trying to find somewhere with a nice beach and very nice rooms. Another consideration is a resort that is not overun with kids and families. Any information (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Apr 26th, 2000, 04:53 AM
lara

Reefs has nicer beach and is a nicer property overall than Pompano. However, by no means would I call the rooms at the Reefs "very nice". Clean, but old and run-down.

Did not see any kids at Pompano; there were a few kids and babies at the Reefs in August but it was not a big deal.

Reefs books up way in advance for August, so if you are considering it, you might want to check their availability.

Apr 27th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Jack

Check out "www.bermuda-online.org/" - it's the website for the local paper. Lots of info on resorts, small hotels, and beach clubs - and links to web sites.

My wife & I stayed at the Grotto Bay. The rooms were OK (middle of renovations), the beach small but nice. Didn't see any kids there.

Keep in mind transportation. Taxis are expensive and the buses are great. Find out how many bus routes pass by the places you are looking at.

Have fun.

Apr 27th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Karen

You might want to rethink Bermuda in August. My husband and I went mid-August 5 years ago and ended up with a hurricane on our honeymoon. Needless to say it was not too much fun. Just something to be aware of - August and September are hurricane months.

May 5th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Heidi

I live in Bermuda and although I haven't visited Pompano, I did stay at the Reefs in March. The rooms are VERY basic. The beach is nice and the restaurant on the beach (Coconuts) is very romantic, but I think the rooms at Pompano are probably a little nicer. As for the hurricane issue, I really wouldn't let it put you off. Bermuda has had ONE direct hit by a hurricane in the past 10 years.

Hope you have a fabulous vacation, whichever property you choose!

Jun 17th, 2000, 03:39 PM
chris

Hi,
We visited Bermuda for our first time in April and stayed at Pompano Beach Club. We had a great time there and the rooms were nice and the staff was great! They have a very informal and friendly atomsphere and most of the folks we met staying there were repeat guests. Most of them had been there at least 5 + times. It is a little far out from the city of Hamilton but you can take the bus or ferry and the cab ride is about $18.00 each way. We all decided when we go back we would definately stay at Pompano again.
Good luck deciding and have a great vacation!!

Jun 18th, 2000, 04:10 AM
Julia

A friend tells me that Ariel Sands is very nice since the redo & also that Pink Beach is underated. We personally spend most of our time on the South Shore beaches where there are no hotels.

Wherever you decide, be sure & inquire (very pointedly & specifically) about the condition of the beach --- storms move the sand about. Other properties you might consider as well are Mermaid (older, but well situated), Stonington & the Sonesta, all within easy distance of the best beaches. Elbow Beach is very nice, very large, very upscale --- great beach.

If you plan to take the bus, buy a pass & if there are any days left on it on departure, give it to a Bermudian. Avoid riding at rush hour when they need the seats to get to & from work.

You'll love Bermuda. It's our favorite.

Jun 18th, 2000, 12:02 PM
Michelle

Just had to add my two cents because I really get upset when I see comments describing Elbow Beach as being "very upscale". Yes, the hotel is very large and the beach is beautiful, but the rooms were not even remotely nice. I would not recommend it to anyone. We stayed there after their supposedly $40 million renovation but the money definitely did not go into the rooms. I did love Julia's idea about giving the bus pass away. The Bermudians are so friendly and wonderful to tourists it seems like the least we could do for them.

Jun 19th, 2000, 03:50 AM
Julia

Michelle,
Thanks for the heads up on Elbow. We were on the property but didn't stay there, so we never saw a room. If I were choosing between one of the larger resorts as opposed to the cottage colonies or smaller hotels, I would have most likely choosen Elbow strictly for the beach.

We love the Bermudian people! So gentle, gentile, sincere, & kind.

Jun 19th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Jess

The Pompano all the way! Although I've never stayed at the Reefs, we were more than pleased with our room and the Pompano property overall. Go for the deluxe rooms which are not that much more and you will have paradise views from your room and absolute peace and quiet - as long as you don't mind the sounds of nature ouside your patio door. The restaurant was wonderful (great food!), golfing was excellent and the staff treats you like royalty. We were there off season last November and only noticed a couple of kids the whole week we were there. We used public transit always and never had a problem and we also walked to the ferry that takes you to Hamilton.

We found the 'package' prices to be more economical which includes meals and extras. Any more questions, feel free to email me.

Jess