Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

POINT GRACE POOLSIDE OR ROYAL WEST INDIES OCEANFRONT?

Jan 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are approaching 60, and are looking forward to walking the beach every day. We want a calm hotel with great service. The price of the poolside cottage room at Point Grace with breakfast is the same as the ocean front room at Royal West Indies. Since we have never been to Turks and Caicos, which would be the best for us? Grace Bay is sold out. I guess my worry is that RWI is very busy. Am I wrong?
Jan 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM

I've never been to either. I would personally prefer to have thte ocean front at RWI. Which would you rather have--the gorgeous view of one or the fuller service of the other? It's my impression that most of the places along Grace Bay like RWI are not full service resorts but condo units with lesser service.
Jan 5th, 2007, 04:42 AM

This may help, the part of the beach that Point Grace is on tends to get windy because its sort of on a point.
When will you be going? It can depend on when you are going, how busy it will be. If you go in May or the beginning of June its a very slow time then, so not as many families mostly couples. We go in April and I have to say I also like to get up early and walk the beach for hours. Sometimes not seeing more than 6 people.
RWI is not very big, its a very quite and peaceful property. I would go with ocean front, the water color is so amazing to look at.
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM

If you want a calm hotel, then Point Grace is better suited for you-RWI gets crowded, and service is fine, but not on par with Point Grace.
You may also want to check out Turks and Caicos Club, a small boutique hotel on a gorgeous consistently calm section of beach.
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:51 AM

It is a very personal decision. In the past my husband and I have chosen to stay at a higher league hotel and given up on the ocean view since we are rarely in our rooms when we visit the caribbean. I would rather have a more fancy hotel with a nicer pool area and better service than a view if I had to make a choice. Like I said its a very personal decision. We had oceanfront at the Sands a couple years ago (selected the Sands because we were travelling with our toddler) and they put us in a building where the views were a bit obstructed by their restaurant. Hope this helps.