Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please recommend an upscale beachfront resort on a lush tropical island!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Susan

OK - Been to both Bermuda (Loved!) and Bahamas (OK)- ready to hit the REAL Caribbean! <BR>First requirement is an "exlusive" beach front resort with ability to walk out from our room and lay on clean white sand and swim in clear blue water.<BR>Second requirement is a lush tropical environment, rather than arid.<BR>Third preference is a gorgeous pool onsite!<BR>Other niceties would include local fine dining, on-site spa, and snorkeling availability.<BR>I know, I want it all! Does this resort exist anywhere?<BR>Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable guidance!<BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Nancy

Four Seasons, Nevis

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Jill

St. Barths would also work. It is very upscale. You are not going to see Joe and Martha from New Jersey with their five kids. It is very French the food is fabulous. Check out Le Toiny, very chic. Although St. Barths is not good for snorkeling.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Martha

Hey I resent that comment.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Scott

You may want to consider Grand Cayman. It has everything you mentioned, the only questionable part is lush & tropical. Although it's not like an arid desert, you won't find a rain forest either. But it does has one of the best beaches in the caribbean(7MB), some of the best snorkeling in the world right off many resorts, awesome restaurants, spas, and for resorts, it depends on what you want to spend, if money is no object, than luxury awaits you.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Mr Beach

You may want to look into Caneel Bay St John. I believe they offer everything you mentioned except for maybe spa?

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Susan

Geesh, money is always an "object." Or at least an obstacle. Same as that thing called "work," Ah well!<BR>But, sometimes a splurge is necessary.<BR>I like these suggestions! Do any of these islands have historical/natural sites to explore? <BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:53 AM
wondering

Are there any AIs on either Nevis or St. John?

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:09 PM
jim

I am going on my honeymoon to Nevis at the end of June. We wanted something like an AI but weren't interested in a Sandals or other of that type of resort. But a lot of resorts offer meal plans and packages that throw in many amenities all together, so you have that much less to worry about. We are going with the "romance package" at the Nisbet Plantation, which includes breakfast, afternoon tea, and dinner daily, a couple days of car rental, a little cruise, and a few other things. The 4 seasons also has these kinds of packages but is much more expensive -- it certainly seems "exclusive", as the original poster wanted.

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Lorraine

Four Seasons Nevis- just got back last week and its exactly what you are looking for.<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Stjohnfan

Caneel on St John definitely fits the bill. It's a very upscale but low key and elegant resort on 170 acres with 7 gorgeous beaches. If you're looking for marble and gold faucets in the baths, Caneel isn't for you. There are no televisions in the rooms and no phones, however they will loan you a cell phone for the length of your stay if you request it. <BR>The resort is gorgeous, quiet and ultra relaxing.

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:22 AM
aaa

There are no AI's on St John, thanks be to God.

Old May 7th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Sandra

Galley Bay in Antigua is modeled somewhat in a tahitian flavor with an exotic freeform pool and waterfalls. More information at antigua-resorts.com<BR><BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Edye

Our vote is Jalousie Hilton on St. Lucia. Lush tropical atmosphere, villa w/ pool and large main pool, lovely beach w/ snorkling, variety of restaurants. European clientele.

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Chris

You've been to the "OK" Bahamas, but have you tried the Ocean Club on Paradise Island? It is the epitome of an "exclusive" resort - very upscale with service that is second to none. I visited there last year, before the spa was built, but I understand that it is now completed. You walk around the grounds and feel that you are the only guest staying there. And if you get bored of having your butt kissed, you can visit the Atlantis (sister resort of the Ocean Club). Although upon entering the chaos that is the Atlantis, and after being ignored by everyone who works there, you will not be able to get back to the Ocean Club fast enough.