Reload this Page >

Please Help!!! Trying to plan honeymoon, St. Lucia or The Bahamas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 12:05 PM
Melissa

Hello everyone, <BR>My fiance and I are trying desperately to plan our honeymoon in May 2001. We are having some trouble. We cannot decided if we should go to The Bahamas or St. Lucia. We have heard good things about both. Until today we were pretty set on The Bahamas but then I went to the St. Lucia site and have heard WONDERFUL things about the island. We want to book this ASAP....I would LOVE any information on St. Lucia that anyone has. What are the pros and cons and the differences between St. Lucia and The Bahamas. We are looking for a place that has breath-taking beaches, excellent snorkeling and scuba diving, some night life but the ability to get away from it, and of course it has to be the most romantic place we have ever been. Again, any information on St. Lucia and where to stay there would be greatly appriciated. <BR>Thanks so much, <BR>Melissa

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 01:16 PM
penny

Hi Melissa-Yes I have read the many reports on this forum about St. Lucia, We were there a few years ago and we thought it was lush,and very scenic. We stayed at the south end at the Jalousie Hilton,it is a very tropical island. <BR>We did miss the turquois water and white sand we have come to love at other islands. We also felt very confined,as it is not easy to get around,this is the first island we did not rent a car.Some of the other post on this site talk about Soufrere it is a very,-- I am sorry to say -poor,poverty stricken city. <BR>On the otherhand I have read wonderful articles on Harbour Island,Isn't it called the Nantucket of the caribbean.It looks very quaint,easier to get around,lovely beaches,more of an English influence and not the 3rd world. <BR>Since the Bahamas are your first choice-stick with that.You can go to St. Lucia another time.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 03:59 PM
DD

We stayed at the Papillon in '97, nice place, but there were too many locals hanging around the beachfront of the resort selling knick knacks...it was charming at first,very annoying after the first day. The worst part of the trip was the long winding drive to the hotel, after having been en route since 3am. (I'd rather be on the beach in the Bahamas than flying 5 hours to St. Lucia, then another 3 hour ride to the hotel.) The snorkelling was limited. <BR>For that, definitley plan on Cozumel on one of your next trips. We stayed in the Sonesta in Anguilla 2 years ago, now that's romantic. I agree with Penny..stick with your first choice of the Bahamas.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 05:05 PM
Eric P

Melissa: <BR>My wife and I honeymooned 6 years ago at Jalousie Plantation, ST.Lucia. As a previous poster noted it has a volcanic tarnished black beach. Although we didn't dive, they do have a great coral area right off the beach. The place is very romantic with bungalos terraced in the hills. The place had a "Fantasy Island Feel" except that Tattoo did not meet our helicopter transfer (recommended). We have had friends who have had mixed reviews about other ST Lucia spots. <BR> <BR>Following the previous poster in regard to Harbor Island. We also have visited there, stayed at Pink Sands. Great white sandy beach and of course the water is much nicer for diving/snorkling. Very private and once again individual cottages. We rented a whaler for a few days and toured some of the uninhabited islands in the area. When you posted Bahamas as an option, did you mean the outer islands? Much more romantic than Nassau or Paradise Isl. if youd did. The outer Islands are pretty great and I would recommend only if you want the out of the way and not so jam packed. <BR> <BR>Also, the BVI is great for diving. <BR> <BR>Good Luck.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:33 AM
jbrooks

AS the previous poster suggested, you may find the BVI a good compromise between the two you are considering. They are not flat, like the bahamas, but green and hilly (although not as lush as St. Lucia). But, they have some incredible beaches and the snorkeling/diving is awesome. The people are great, as well. <BR> <BR>But if you do go to the bahamas, do try one of the out islands. Nassua gets a little annoying after a couple of days with all the vendors and cruise ship passengers! <BR> <BR>Good Luck!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 11:53 AM
joan

Melissa: <BR>Eric (above) is right on. I too have been to both, and for my honeymoon, I would definitely choose Pink Sands on Harbour Island. A first class resort. The beach is truly pink. It is romantic and yet you can walk into the little town and get souvenirs, go out to dinner, get gourmet goodies, rent a golfcart (the island is so teeny this is how they get around). Be sure to take a water taxi over to Eleuthera one day. You could rent a car and drive to all the deserted beaches there...or maybe rent that Whaler and find em via water. The difference in the travel time is big, and to me would be the deciding factor, especially for a honeymoon. Congratulations! <BR>Joan

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 05:19 AM
Beth

Melissa, <BR>My husband and I went to St. Lucia last may (memorial day weekend) for our honeymoon. We stayed at the Jalousie also and I can tell you it's absolutely beautiful. <BR> <BR>If your first choice was Bahamas, maybe you should go with that though. <BR> <BR>If you do choose St. Lucia, please make sure you at least stay on the southern side of the island... either at Jalousie, Anse Chastenet or Ladera. South is so much prettier/quieter than the busy city of Castries in the north. <BR> <BR>Must do: Rainforest <BR> <BR>Have dinner at the Ladera one night - beautiful views. <BR> <BR>Good luck and congrats!!