Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please help me decide Coral Bay vs Cruz Bay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 12:01 PM
Cathy

My husband and I are going to St. John in November 2000 and have found a gorgeous villa in the upper Carolinas/Coral Bay area. Is it that bad of a drive to Cruz Bay? We were assured by the agent that access to this villa is on a nice all paved road the whole way, about a 20 minute drive to Cruz Bay. We would probably eat out for dinner at least 5 times and I am wondering if driving at night back to villa would be ok. Are there any restaurants in Coral Bay area? My husband thinks I am over-worrying. Any info would be appreciated. Other than dinner, we are not big nightlife people. Thanks, Cathy

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 12:40 PM
Rachael

Hi Cathy!! I hope I am of some help. I was in St. John in July of 1999, and we stayed aroudn Fish Bay, about 10 minutes away from Cruz Bay. Yes, it is all paved roads, but those 10 minutes were the most adventurous I've ever experiecned! From Cruz Bay to Coral Bay is about 25-30, depending on your speed, and at night it could get dangerous. If either you or your husband is a good driver, this will not be a problem, but if not I'd recommend staying nearer to Cruz Bay. There are a few restaurants in Coral Bay, but mainly lunch type ones, but the best are in Cruz Bay. I would love to spend my time out on the East End, it being probably the most idyllic and undeveloped area in the Caribbean, but the drive is rather too much. Feel free to e-mail. Hope i was of some help!!

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 04:45 PM
jim

Cathy, Rachael is correct, the roads are quite twisty and steep, but take it slow, and drive on the left, and you should be okay. Cruz Bay is the main town, but I like Coral Bay better. There are several good restaurants in that area: Skinny Legs (my favorite on the island), Shipwreck Landing and Lucys. <BR> <BR>Take it slow, and it is an adventure. The views are just outstanding. <BR> <BR>- Jim

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 08:27 PM
Cathy

Rachel/Jim-Thanks for your input. My husband is a good driver, but he also likes a few cocktails with dinner. So I guess that leaves me as the designated driver. ha I think we'll stick with Coral Bay (I wish I could find a good map of St. John to find out where the Upper Carolinas is). At least you've both verified that it is a lovely area with great views and peaceful. Plus the villa we're renting is beautiful. Sometimes you've just got to be adventurous (but cautious). Thank you.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 12:09 PM
Keith's Nan

I hope you havn't sent in your deposit yet. Send us the web site your villa is on so we can tell you where the Upper Carolinas are. Sounds like third tier to me - that is high up. Not that this is bad, depends what you are looking for. <BR>Most of the Island is paved but previous posters have warned you. We drove to Coral Bay during the day and believe me, I would not want to do it at night, especially after a cocktail or two. Good map of St. John really does not exist. Will wait to hear from you.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 03:41 PM
larry

Coral Bay I recall being about 20 minutes from Cruz during the day. You may need to double that at night. It is good that you are not big nightlife people, as there is not a lot of nightlife on STJ (which was perfect for us). There are, however, great restaurants in Cruz Bay. We went to the beach at Salt Pond every day, which is past Coral bay, because it was clear and calm while the other side of the island was cloudy and the ocean choppy. So, we did the ride you are talking about (actually it may have been longer when you add in the Coral Bay to Salt Pond distance) five times and did not think it was terrible. I just don't know how it will be at night. <BR> <BR>You should also figure on making the drive to some of the great north shore beaches that will be about 20 minutes, but that is just a little longer than from a place closer to Cruz Bay (some of those beaches (eg Maho) are also about 20 minutes from Cruz Bay. <BR>Enjoy. <BR>

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 06:41 AM
Cathy

Hi guys <BR>First-to Keith's Nan-I tried to email you direct but it came back undeliverable. Will try again. The villa we are staying at is Beau Soleil, onlinevacations.com. Denise has been helping us and she is very nice, lives on the island and seems very knowledgeable. She assures us the drive is not that bad with a 4 wheel drive. <BR>Larry-we are definetely going to check out EVERYTHING on the island. Have no problem driving during the day, I was just a little worried about night. But like I said if it's that bad, we'll just take a taxi. Also plan on taking a boat to BVI. Any recommendations on who or where? <BR>One more question-Denise said she would arrange our 4 wheel drive rental. The rate was around $350 for the week, is this reasonable or should I check out some of the rental agencies myself? <BR>Thanks to all <BR>Cathy

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Cathy

Hi <BR>I tried to post this before but I don't thing it posted. <BR>First to Keith's Nan-I tried to email you direct but it came back undeliverable. We are staying at the Beau Soleil, onlinevacation.com. Booked with Denise who lives on the island and seems very knowledgable and extremely nice and helpful. She assures us the drive is not that bad. <BR>Larry-yes we plan on seeing EVERYTHING including all the beaches. They sound beautiful. We have no problem exploring during the day, I was just a little worried about night driving. Also would like to do a day at the BVI's. Any recommendations on boats or which island to see? <BR>One more question, our agent said she would arrange the car rental. The price for a 4wheel drive for the week was about $350. Is this reasonable or should I check out rental companies myself? <BR>Thanks for all the help. Hope this didn't post twice. <BR>Cathy

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 11:18 AM
Charlie

Forget taking a taxi,it's unlikely that you will find one to take you back to Coral Bay at night.The taxis are typical Caribbean in that they are multible passenger and it wouldn't be worth their time to make that long run to C B.As for the 4x4 rental,$350 is right on the mark,if things are slow on the island and you shop around you may beat that rate by $10/$15 but the quoted rate is a fair one.If you guys are the laid back type,sounds as if you are,Coral Bay will be a perfect fit for you so stop worrying and have a great trip.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 05:26 AM
Keith's Nan

Cathy, the house looks beautiful. You will be up quite high and it does seem expensive but everyone has different taste and as for us, we are out of the house so much when on vacation that as long as our accomodations are clean, nice and air conditioned (I don't think your villa is) with some amenities such as washer/dryer and splash poolwith a deck to have coffee in the morning we are happy. The pool looks wonderful. We are still mulling over Nov. 2000 <BR>ourselves. It is a great time to go. <BR> <BR>As far as the Email address, I purposely put it in wrong as I did receive some "unwanted" Emails. Did anyone see 20/20 last night? That is what I am talking about. Crazies are everywhere.

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 12:19 PM
Cathy

To Keith's Nan- Once again I will probably have a double post. Don't know what I am doing wrong. <BR>Anyway, I didn't know you could put in a fake email, now I do and will heed your advice. <BR>Yes, the house is beautiful, and was a little expensive, but I found that to get a pool, a/c, and a washer/dryer (both of which this house has) the cost was at least $1400. Where did you stay? Maybe we're missing the right deals. Also we are going at Thanksgiving, when many villas charge more, this one did not. <BR>We decided to splurge a little on this villa, so I've already sent in my deposit, and am going to TRY to quit worrying as CHARLIE suggested. Thanks for the info on car rentals. <BR>Cathy

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 05:48 AM
Kara Kouloheras

hi-- <BR>i found an excellent book called "st.john by foot and fin and jeep". it is about 100 pages of great local lore and favorite spots. the best thing is that it gives you extensive driving directions to everywhere on the island. it has you set your odometer to 0 and lets you know at which mile mark you need to turn,etc. i found it extremely helpful on the days i rented a jeep while staying at maho bay. good luck.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Susie

Cathy--- <BR> <BR> <BR>While I was in STJ during April 1999, we sailed on Whitewing to the BVI. It was a one day sail/snorkeling trip from <BR>9 a.m. - 6 p.m. It was absolutely wonderful. The captain was extremely gracious. We shared the sail with a family of four (Total of 7 people including the captain) We booked the trip with "Connections" in STJ. This is a general reservation service which will provide information regarding other sailing trips, sailing charters and fishing trips.