Reload this Page >

What can you tell me about Cozumel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 05:09 PM
Raymond

Planning a trip to Cozumel in May. How is the diving? What could suggest we stay? Would love ocean front. Any help. welcome

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 07:04 PM
Catmomma

My husband and I spent 2 weeks on Cozumel last year and loved every minute of it. He dove with Black Shark Dive Shop and really liked it. He was certified in Cozumel 11 years ago. We have stayed at 3 different hotels on the island. A small hotel called El Cozumelano is a beautiful pink hotel outside of town. That is its only drawback. It has a nice small beach and it is really beautiful white soft sand and easy access to the sea. <BR> <BR>Last year we stayed at Fiesta Inn which is about 1 1/2 miles from town. It has the largest swimming pool on the island. I enjoyed that a lot. However they do let locals in to swim. Across the street was a restaurant and dive shop and a very small sandy beach area. Food very good there. You could get into the water there as there were steps to get in. We walked into town to eat about every other night. It is 1 1/2 miles. <BR> <BR>Before that we also stayed at another hotel called Fiesta Americana which is 10 min from town by taxi (the other side of town from El. Coz.) Nice hotel, and access to the sea across the street where they also have a nice restaurant and pier where dive boats pick you up. <BR> <BR>If you have any more questions about diving sites let me know. He says diving there is wonderful. Carlos & Charlies if a fun place to eat and kind of wild some nights. Fabulous ribs! You can check out the hotels on the net. <BR> <BR>I tried to send you a personal email but it came back. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 05:00 AM
Karen

Go to www.cancunmap.com and order the appropriate maps (reefs of Cozumel and Riviera Maya). We just got back from the Riviera Maya and the maps were invaluable! You might also check the Latin America boards on this site as there are postings there about Cozumel, Riviera Maya and Mexico in general!

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 07:35 AM
parrotfish

Just got back from a week at the Fiesta Inn. It has been sold and is now called the Costa Club, but nothing else has really changed except the name. It is technically not oceanfront, altho the beach and dive shop are right across the street. About 2 blocks closer to town is the Plaza Las Glorias which is on the beach side of the street and highly recommended by many divers. The main advantage to both of these places is that they are only about a half-mile from town so you can walk - the "resort-type" hotels in the far south end of the island will require a cab to town, altho cabs are cheap in Mexico. The diving is spectacular, and there are over 100 dive shops on Cozumel - everybody has their favorite. I dove with Marine Sports, which is the onsite shop for Costa Club and found it a good experience. Highly experienced divers always mention Aldorra Divers [www.aldorra.com] or Dive with Martin. <BR> <BR>You can get lots of info in the archives of the Rodales Scuba Diving website. They have a VERY active diving bulletin board with lots of opinions [www.scubadiving.com]

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 10:07 AM
IslandAnne

I've been to Cozumel several times and have always stayed at the Plaza Las Glorias. They have a dive shop on premises. We love the hotel; it's right on the water and you can walk to town. I'm not a diver, but spend a lot of time snorkeling and found Cozumel to be fabulous. (We were there during Hurricane Roxanne in October of '95 and can vouch that the hotel is well built.) Hope you have fun!