Search

USVI next week

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USVI next week

Going there tomorrow with 2 small children and have some questions..

1. According to weather.com its gonna rain every day. Should I be concerned?

2. I'll be in st John for a day. Should I visit Caneel bay? Is it visitor's friendly? Are there any other places that are a must go besides trunk bay and cruz bay?

3. I'm staying at the Secret Harbour during the Super Bowl. Is there a place nearby where I can take my family and watch the game.

I'm also staying at the Buccaneer for the last 5 days in case anyone has suggestion on St Croix.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:27 AM

I wish I had some info for you--but I have more of a question. We are looking at the Bucaneer for April and would love some feedback. When you return could your write a review as we are going with a little one (4) as well. Thanks and hopefully the weather forecast is off -- having lived in Fla, I know that they call for rain on the web when we would only have the typical one hour afternoon shower after a great beach day. Have fun!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:37 AM

As far as the weather goes ignore the forcast its just like at home there not usually corrrect.
Not familiar with St. John but our family loved St. Croix. Do not miss Buck Island, even if the children are to small to snorkle they will love it. We purchased a viewing raft that our youngest loved. They could see everything and we could pull them while snorkeling, (life vest still needed). Not to expensive $25, well worth it. Capt. Heinz was great,wonderful with the kids.
The Fort in Fredricksted is a nice trip for the kids as well.
Also suggest Whim Plantation something for everyone there great look into the island history.
Diffinitly rent a car and explore the island. The eastern tip is beautiful as is the West both totally different. Great beaches all over. Go explore the folks are friendly and helpful.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:00 AM

If you looked at weather.com for the USVI's, or any other Caribbean island for that matter, everyday for the past year you'd swear the sun never shines in the Caribbean. The forecast always shows showers. That's because it's the tropics and it rains somewhere in the vacinity of the islands for some brief time nearly everyday. What weather.com doesn't tell you is these showers are usually very brief, very localized and rarely dampen anyones vacation plans. Of course, you do have to realize that you are dealing with mother nature and there's always a chance of rain (just like you get back home) - it happens and no amount of planning can change that.

Canell Bay is a wonderful resort with well landscaped grounds. I'm not sure if they allow "day guests" on the property - I would think not. Regardless there are so many other places on the island you can visit during your trip that you won't miss not going to CB.

Can't give you any specifics about the Super Bowl game but you can bet that just about every bar and casual gathering place on the island that has a TV will be tuned to the big game. As the people at Secret Harbor to recommend a place to watch.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:20 AM

hi ziggy. please ignore that weather report. they give the same report for almost every day of the year(for every island). if it does rain, chances are it will not last more than about 15 mins and not be raining on other parts of the island.
think you're kids will enjoy coki beach/world much more that magens. magens is stunning, but thats an adult observation. coki has good snorkel and the marine park is way cool with ray petting and fish feeding, underwater viewing area, etc. also you are only there for 3 days and coki is a quick drive from secret harbour.
now about the game. you will have a tv in your condo at sh. and unless i am completely delirious one at the blue moon (sh's very good restaurant and bar) which is right on the beach -palapa style. and what could be better than watching a game played in detroit, brrr!, while you are wearing a bathing suit and can snorkel at half time. and go back to your condo anytime you want to - like to feed kids...
re sh snorkeling (assume you do this): walk past the restaurant and dive shop. enter the water just before the ironshore starts and swim out to the right towards the small point. we went all the way around the bend several times. saw lots of turtles, rays and assorted fish. also swim a 100 or so feet out past the swim float and a little left for another good area.
sh is a perfect beach. not to small but not so large that your kids can get out of your sight.
re: daytrip to st.j. all beaches are public. i advise you type st. john into the search box above. read until you find a beach that sounds good and maybe has some food/facilities and just head there. or repost with something like best beach for 1day on st.j. you should get a slew of answers as st.j is most popular island on this forum.
i might also post something with st.croix is the title for info as you need to get it fast.
make sure the kids drink tons of water and slather on the sunscreen until they want to scream...
have a wonderful vacation.

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:36 AM

No problem at all for day guests at Caneel. In fact, they're happy if people come for lunch (expensive!) Non-guests are supposed to use only the main beach-- in front of the restaurant. that beach is very nice and there's good snorkeling right out front. The grounds are gorgeous and I don't think there'd be any problem exploring them a bit.
It's extremely rare for it to rain very many hours in the VI's at this tme of year. I hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Awesome, kids. Love the replies. I'll try to report when I come back. Thats what I thought about the weather but the wife needed some reasurance. She still doesnt know about the giant iguanas at sh tho.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM

Be afraid....very afraid. The islands, as lush as most are, do not have underground irrigation systems! I keep wondering why anyone gets tan!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM

be sure and look for the iguana with the oddly bent tail. they like fruit!
there is one really big one that hangs out on the little cement pier you are not supposed to walk out on.
the little ones are fun too. they stand their ground fiercely right up until you step toward them at which point they run like mad. too funny.
oh yes i have confirmed with travel companion: bar has tv!