Search

harbour island/eleuthera?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harbour island/eleuthera?

Is this destination really as good as it sounds?

Our family is considering a stay at the Coral Sands, with day trips to Eleuthera.

Can anyone comment on the snorkelling and diving? Is visiblity and reef vibrancy good?

We're also thinking about the Abacos. Any input on which would be better for snorkelling and diving?

Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:58 PM

I have not been to the Abacos but there are several regulars here who can give you morei info on the Abacos also check the very active board there www.coconuttelegraph.com

Harbour Island is a pristine gem of the Bahamas chain, only 3 miles long and half a mile wide, and even at high season, the beach is still pretty deserted. The 3 mile beach has the most beautiful pink sand.

Coral Sands is very nice with beautiful grounds, pool and a tennis court. There is also an excellent restaurant on site and a beach bar/cafe so you can get something right at the beach.

THe island is very safe so your kids can run a bit and will probably meet some kids their age to play with.

There are several reefs in the area and 2 dive shops on island so you can arrange for some great snorkle trips not far off shore. There are also some amazing wrecks very close including a civil war train and several old ships.

There is not much to see on Eleuthera and you have to drive a LONG way to see anything, so you will probably only want to do one day on Eleuthera. N. Eleuthera to Govenours Harbour is at least a 2 hour drive. Also the water taxis go off duty at sundown so make sure you are back before that.

Have a great time and let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:55 PM

checkout this blog :
http://harbour-island-bahamas.blogspot.com/

click on the Harbour Island/Eleuthra trip report by pinknest. Really good pictures and loved her trip report format. You may have to scroll down on her page before you get to her trip report, but well worth it.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM

Would help to know the ages of your kids and their interests. My husband and I spent four days at Coral Sands last November and really enjoyed it. The beach is not to be believed--beats any we've seen. And we liked Coral Sands--good value for your money but definitely not completely luxurious.

My husband and I felt that our kids would not have enjoyed Harbour Island as much as we did. But perhaps we're wrong. They'd enjoy driving golf carts and swimming, etc. But the restaurants are pricey and the diversions somewhat limited. If we could be sure that there would be other kids to play with, that might be another story (our kids are 10 and 12).

Beautiful spot. Just my thoughts.

My husband did some snorkeling right off Coral Sands. He went pretty far out and said it was just o.k. Bet there are better spots.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:51 PM

Here's some info as well on tripadvisor. Calypsogirl was there in May this year and answers several posters' questions.

http://tinyurl.com/kn354