Please cast your vote...

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please cast your vote...

Please cast your vote between Grand Cayman or Jamaica (Negril) for our next vacation in June. We have 2 kids (5 yrs and a toddler)
Our concerns are:
The safety of drinking water (sensitive stomachs- so Mexico is OUT!!)

Activites to keep the children entertained -they love the beach, but are not into snorkeling yet.

Thanks for the input
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:11 PM

Actually most resorts in Mexico have filtererd water but if that worries you for you kids it is understandable. I think I mentioned in your orig. thread about Jamaicas naturally filtered water and an AI there, because of kids activities would be my choice. Good luck!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. I think that the Beaches resort you mentioned in Jamaica sounds great. I was just wondering how to get a decent quote on the resort instead of a double digit price. I also heard that the food and service were just mediocre. Any thoughts on that aspect?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:21 PM

I vote for bottled water !

Seriously, with "sensitive" stomachs, even domestic travel can cause problems.

It is not always the water of the locale that causes a problem...it is the change in what one is used to drinking that causes the upset.

This is one of the reasons that dog and horse show folks travel with bottled water.

Have *familiar* water and all should be fine !

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

What about the Caymans? Does everyone think that Negril has more to offer?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:34 PM

To VA. 24. It wasn't me who mentioned that resort in Negril, sorry. I tried to find travelers reviews on it but no luck. I mught be able to come up with something tomorrow. There is a web site I have bookmarked at work that may help. Good luck, Larry
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:17 AM

We are going to Beaches Negril in May. Try going to www.tropictravelonline & posting there. They have a special Beaches forum. Debbie is the host & can get you some price quotes offline. We reserved ours over the phone after researching it at the Beaches website. They gave us the internet discounted rate. Later, I got an email with a lower quote from discount-all-inclusive.com You might check them.

As for food, I got an email from a traveler that posted on another board & they said the food was fine.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:23 AM

don't rule out Mexico because of a sensitive stomach. I happen to have the worst stomach in the world! and...I've gotton sick in Jamaica..not Mexico. Either way, take yogurt pills and ask your doctor for antibiotics to bring along just in case no matter where you go. (that may ease your mind)
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Bottled water and Immodium are the panacea for sensitive systems anywhere outside the US. More important is the month you plan travel, June, traditionally 'rainy
season' in the Caribbean. Would advise Negril as your best bet but would also suggest you change your holiday for better weather to July or August.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Tiver: We usually travel in June to Negril and find the weather to very nice. July and August bring a much increased threat of tropical storms and hurricanes. I definitely vote for Negril and June is a great time of year. It is the tropics and if you like the sun....get up and out early. By 1 PM there is a good chance that it'll cloud up and rain. But many times it will remain just partly cloudy.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:00 PM

I can't speak for Jamaica as I haven't returned. We were there several years ago-had our tires slashed in hotel parking lot (Intercontinental at that time), were offered drugs on several occasions, and were advised not to leave the hotel grounds at night. This was in Montego Bay. I have read many positive reviews in recent years.
Grand Cayman is a favorite of mine because it is one of the safest and cleanest islands. You can walk around freely at night and the beach is beautiful. However, as you probably know, they suffered immensely from Hurricane Ivan in Sept., 04 and are in the process of rebuilding. Also, be advised that the food is quite expensive (best to rent a condo and bring in groceries for breakfast and lunch). Drinking water was always been fine. Children would enjoy the Turtle Farm and the Pirate Ship. Seven Mile Beach is also good for children. If you have questions, try GotoCayman.com. Robert, who operates the site is very knowledgable and helpful.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM

When my wife and I had small children, we had great success with Club Med locations that have "mini clubs" for the kids. Everyone gets a great vacation.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:56 AM
anonxx

I would certainly vote for Grand Cayman, especially with kids!!!

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:03 AM

I think Grand Cayman would be perfect for you. I honeymooned there a year ago. Very safe, clean, upscale island. It is pricey though.

Make sure the hotel/condo you are interested in will be open because I know many will be closed for a year due to Ivan.