Peter Island Resort

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Nancy

Peter Island Resort

Thinking of going to BVI and would appreciate any information on Peter Island Resort...good and bad. This resort seems to have what we are looking for. Rooms on the beach, good food and beautiful beaches. Especially interested if there is snorkling at Deadmans beach. Thanks

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:23 PM
smc

I would also be interested in any information on Peter Island. Would the weather be different in the summer vs. winter months?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Bud

Peter Island Resort is rated a 4 star resort by AAA. Wonder if any recent guests concur with that rating. One of AAA's highest.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Dana

Simply paradise. Peter Island has great beaches, food and service. The rooms are casual but elegant and I would go back in a heartbeat

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 06:51 PM
J

Agree wholeheartedly with Dana. We loved it and will go back without question. There is snorkeling at Deadmans Beach, near both ends of the beach. The snorkeling is even better at White Bay beach.

With respect to weather, its pretty consistent year round with the exception of hurricane season. We went in June and had mid-80's and sunshine every day, the difference was the amount of wind providing cooling breezes.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
katie

You should all go to Scubamom.com and read her review of PI..Some say she gets a kickback from the hotels but it seems pretty unbiased and honest to me....

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:13 AM
Meg

Would Peter Island be too boring for an 18 year old travelling with parents?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:55 PM
J

I think an 18 yr old with the folks would be bored out of his/her skull. No other kids to hang out with, only 1 tv on the island. There are water sports, but this really is a couples-oriented place. The only kids we saw on the island were visiting for the day off of boats that docked at the marina or just offshore.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Jim

We just got back from Peter Island on July 8, 2002. We had our one week honeymoon there and it was spectacular. It lived up to everything we were told by people who had been there before. I wish we were still there. There are so many good things to list about this island resort. For an 18 year old, they would enjoy it if they didn't need TV, videogames and lots of night activities. It really is more of an adult's place, but we did see a few younger people there with their parents. Please email me to ask me questions. Thanks

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:30 AM
anne

Jim,
My husand and I will be there in September. How is the standard room condition? Is the beach water clear and how far is the beach from the resort area? I only eat seafood and do they serve seafood for lunch and dinner? Any info you like to share, please do so, such as day excurisons and etc. Is there a health club with good machines?Thank you.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:39 PM
J

Anne -

Yes - there is seafood available at every meal. Several types for lunch and dinner. You won't be disappointed in the food quality or selection. The standard room (Ocean view, near the lobby) is very nice - clean, spacious, with a balcony or garden sitting area depending on whether you are on the first floor or second floor. Those rooms are about a 5 minute walk to the main beach, Deadmans Bay. And if one of the hotel employees passes you in their little golf carts, they will ask if you want a ride. Ocean front rooms are, well, right on the beach. White Bay beach is more secluded and takes about 10 minutes by van to get there from the main resort area. Beach and water quality are excellent at both beaches. The water is clear as can be and very warm.

There is a healthclub on site, right on Deadmans beach with several types of cardio machines, weight machines, and free weights. They also offer a full range of spa services.

For excursions, they run a trip to Virgin Gorda every Thursday for snorkeling at the Baths (well worth it) and every Tuesday to St Thomas for shopping (not worth it). Also, you can charter a boat from the island (the Simaril) for day or overnight trips to any of the surrounding islands. The resorts also runs a boat to Tortola 7/8 times a day.

Hope that helps.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Anne

Thank you so much Jim. I've more questions. Do we have to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at certain time everyday? Is there a dress code for dinner. On the web, there're lots of Palm tree. PI grounds are lush and green as it seem on the web site or not. Congradulations and happy many more years. My husand & I are 34 now and have been married for 14 years. now.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:19 PM
anon

The best is the lobster sandwich and a bottle of wine delivered to White Bay for your own private picnic!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:14 PM
J

Anne -

There is no set time to eat every day, although the restaurants keep loose hours around meal times - beginning at 11:00 am for lunch at the beach restaurant and around 6 pm for dinner at both locales. You really do not need a reservation, but the resort suggests it, we believe simply because they want to make sure they have enough seats for the guests (non-guests can come and dine there too). We never had a problem making reservations any time we chose.

With respect to dress code, at the beach they request that women cover their bathing suits. At the Tradewinds restaurant near the lobby, they require long pants and a collared shirt for the men, no sneakers. Thats about as "dressy" as it gets.

The island is very lush, with trees, flowers and plants all around. Palm trees (not native to the island) ring the edge of Deadmans beach.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Debbie

Hi,Does Peter Island have a room for a single person looking for lot's of R&R??
I don't need a party scene to be happy.
Just a place in the sun to read a book.
Any comment? Be nice.....

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 05:59 PM
J

Yes, Debbie, it it a perfect setting for that. I would inquire about prices, since most of the rates are double occupancy.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Bill

I assume that by "collared" shirt you mean that a golf shirt is sufficient, correct?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:36 PM
J

I suppose golf shirt works. No t-shirts. Should have a collar like any polo shirt or oxford shirt.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:16 PM
karen

J --
I was very interested in your post about Peter Island. I've gone back and forth so many times on which island to choose for our next vacation that I am an endless question to everyone on this board!
We definitely want to do a villa vacation again (we did one in Jamaica). Do you know if there are any beachfront villas on Peter Island? I haven't found any to date.
Also, you said you took a day trip to Virgin Gorda. I HAVE found villas on VG that look wonderful. My concern was whether or not there was enough to do on VG for ourselves, our kids (7-14) and our friends and their kids. You mentioned snorkeling at the Baths. What is that? If we could do that one day and one other thing another day, perhaps VG is for us. We mainly love swimming and hanging at the beach. your thoughts?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 08:13 AM
J

Karen -

If you are taking a family style vacation to the BVI with kids, I think Peter Island may be too laid back for your kids. Not too much to do, little in the way of "kid friendly" activities. Peter Island is a great place for unwinding, relaxing, and enjoying the sun and beach, with activity if you want it. No tv, not alot of other kids.

While we were there, we saw a number of families with kids that visited for the day off of boats that sailed around the BVI. Many of them came from boats of an organization called Moorings (I don't know much about it, but am sure they have a web presence). What people do is rent a boat for a week at a time, with a captain & crew, and sail from island to island. Very popular with families with kids.

With respect to the Baths in VG, imagine a Stonehenge-like setting on the beach. Huge boulders that provide a great setting for snorkeling and a bit of exploring around the naturally formed caves. A good day trip with the kids.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -