Search

Peter Island

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter Island

From reading the comments there are lots of honeymooners at PIR... how out of place would I feel going solo in early September? M

ale 43, used to solo travel (business and vacation)... all I want is to spend some quality time on the beach... willing to take my book to dinner... is this workable?
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:48 PM

I spent my honeymoon there last October; although it was mostly honeymoon and anniversary couples, and it most likely will be the case when you’re there, I wouldn’t worry.

The island is large compared to the amount of guestrooms, with the exception of meals you probably could go all day on the beach by yourself without seeing many people.
It sounds from what you’re asking; the space and privacy couples go there for would ironically be what you could be looking for. Not to mention, the staff is so friendly you’ll have plenty chances to converse with people if you’d like.
Because you're going off-season it might even be less crowded. Also, because of the new spa I would think it wouldn’t be uncommon to find other single people looking for the same kind of get away you’re seeking. In other words, have a great time; it’s an incredible place.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Wayward...it looks like a great place!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 01:17 PM

I was there in December 2001. There were mostly couples celebrating anniversaries (average age 45-50). There were no kids at the resort except one very quiet 2 year old.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the information!

any suggestions on a specific room or location that would be better than the others?

I am looking at the ocean view category, but am not too psyched about being right at the pool or "too" close to the restaurants... don't mind a bit of a walk and like it quiet... thanks
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 12:57 PM

I stayed in the Beachfront rooms so I can't give advice on the noise from the pool. Some of the ocean rooms (the tops are better views) are away from the pool - you also want to make sure you aren't near the boat landing. Email Peter island and they can tell you. You want to be on the corner that faces out to the channel.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:42 PM

It's been a few years since we were there, but I don't recall the ocean view rooms as being that close to the pool or restaurant. At least, they weren't right at the pool or anything. It's more spread out than it looks on the illustrated map on the resort's website.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 07:38 PM

You will have an amazing time there, enjoy! Ask to be placed farthest away from the pool, the last building is where we stayed. It was wonderful to see the personal boats that looked lke mini cruise-liners come into port. The rooms are spaced well, as stated above. We enjoy ground level rooms, to each their own whether you want a view or just walk out your door. No locks, no keys, so cool. I have the unique privacy door hanger on a knob on my desk, you will love this resort. It is special, alone or as a couple or as a family. I am envious, we will return again--just so many places to see... Have a blast, Carol
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 03:53 AM
owa

Andrew304, When will you be on PI? We will be there starting the 12th. That is if Northwest Airlines doesn't strike, and if they do, I find another way to get to STT. Coming from South Dakota doesn't provide a lot of options!! Owa

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Excellent room advice - thanks to all.

Owa - my plan is to be there the last week of August are you going in September?
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:47 AM
owa

Andrew304, We are going to be there starting 12 September. Oh shoot. Have a good time. Owa

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Owa - (and others?)

Am at Peter Island Resort not(and quite happy now...) any questions I can answer?

This is a beautiful a peaceful place!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:28 PM
owa

Andrew304, I was so excited to see your post from PI. We leave a week from tomorrow!!

Have you read Mountaingirl's recent posts? She talks about not being able to snorkel in parts of the BVI's because of "sea wasps".
Scary stuff. Have you snorkeled without any problem? Any talk of sea wasps? I almost called PI this morning to get information.

Is the food as good as I've heard? How are you spending your days?

Can't wait to hear your answers. Thanks much for taking time to post. Owa

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:49 PM

owa,
We've stayed at Peter Island in September and I got stung by some type of jellyfish (are sea wasps a species of jellyfish?) while snorkeling off of White Bay beach. We also saw some jellyfish in the waters off of Deadman's. We were there in between two tropical storms, so I don't know if it was because of the storms or they just get them this time of year.

Andrew,
Glad to hear you're enjoying the place.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:12 AM

Hi Andrew,
So happy to hear from you!! What room are you in? If you have not tried the french toast at breakfast, GET IT!! It is memorable...
So gald you are enjoying, I for one am envious!
Carol
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:56 AM

I was always torn between the French toast and the Eggs benedict; so I always ordered both!
Hey what are vacations for?

Andrew: glad you're there, have a great time. Make sure you talk to Benj. He has a great life story surrounding P.I. and is great at his job if you need anything.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi to all -

No talk of sea wasps (not sure what they are), but I did see a few jelly fish on both beaches - some small ones on White Bay yesterday and 2 larger ones at Deadmans today... no cause for alarm and they did not prevent me or anyone from enjoyng the water... they just sort of drift along and are easy to spot and avoid.

The food is really great and the staff is amazing...very, very friendly...whatever you want, they make happen.

I enjoyed the French toast very much too!

I am in the 3rd building in from the point... I would have prefeered to be closer to the point as those rooms are further from the pool and have a better view. Being closer to the pool is NOT a problem - no noise, but my room is more pool view than dead on ocean view... the first few buildings are really not OV at all, but look out mostly on the gardens, so my room is better than those.

Bring a few books... it is VERY quiet here and only about 30% full when I checked in on Monday...

I do agree with other posters that the beach front rooms would be excellent, but much more $! And I did meet Benj - a great guy!

Be sure to bring some good walking shoes as the resort is very spread out... it is about 1/2 mile from the OV rooms to Deadmans beach and the restaurant there...only 1 restaurant is open each night (I assume because so few people are here) - the more formal one is closest to the OV rooms and that one has been opened for dinner the most, so the OV people luck out there! (There are also lots of golf carts if you want a ride - they stop and pick you up).
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:41 PM
owa

Andrew, thanks for all the information. Sounds wonderful.

Is there anything you wish you had brought with you to PI? Do I need bug spray? You mention books to read. I was going to call and see if there was a library with a book supply. We are coming with carry-ons and our own snorkeling equipment--not much extra room for books.

Continue to have a good time and thanks for posting. Owa

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Owa --

There is a library here and you can find lots of books (I plan to leave some)... they provide bug spray in the rooms and it is also available in the shop (along with bug bite stuff if you need it) - I have not had any mosquito problems at all!

They also provide snorkle stuff, so unless you have your favorite stuff and really want to use it, they already have you covered...no need to carry it down here... I have used the resort stuff and it is fine. You sign it out on your first day and keep it until you check out...they provide beach towels in your room and they are also available at the pool... the 4PM tea set up provides some pre-dinner snacks if you get hungry...

I also brought some wine with me, but the prices at the resort are VERY reasonable if you like wines... not a big mark-up...prices in the gift shop are also pretty good compared to other islands I've been to... they are not out to nickle and dime the guests here...
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:36 PM
owa

Andrew, good to hear about the wine and the books. We are going to be in STT for 3 days before we go to PI, so we will need our snorkel gear there.
Did you take the PI ferry? We are going to try to take the "fast ferry" as we miss the days PI ferry comes to STT.

How much longer are you there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -