Pet Friendly Beaches and Hotels?

Oct 5th, 2002, 09:18 AM
patty

Pet Friendly Beaches and Hotels?

I have a few questions if anyone can answer them I would really really appreciate it!!

1.) Will St. Thomas allow me to bring a pet from the US (georgia)?

2.) Are there any pet friendly hotels in St. Thomas?

3.) Are there any beaches in St. Thomas or St. John where you can take your pet?

Thank you!!!!

Oct 5th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Chas

For dogs: (1) Yes, the US Virgin Islands 'tolerates' pets (unwillingly). Make sure to bring proof of rabies shot, etc.; (2) Very few hotels allow pets (we have stayed with our dog at Emerald Beach and its sister hotel, Best Western Caribe Beach, both of which are adjacent to the airport; (3) You are not allowed to bring pets onto the beaches if they are in the National Park which most are on St. John). Remember it is VERY hot for a pooch!

Oct 5th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Dog Lover

Patty,
As a fellow dog owner, I implore you to leave your dogs home unless you are relocating to St Thomas. My impression however is that you are merely vacationing.
Your dogs will be locked up in the cargo compartment of a plane and then have to live in a motel room for the length of your stay.
In general dogs are not welcome on most of the beaches. If you do bring them, make sure you clean up after them.
Personally my dogs are happier at home. We have friends come in and care for them and they stay healthy and relaxed. Pets sometimes react to unfamiliar water and weather and become very ill. And other hotel guests don't react well to barking dogs in the next room Please, please leave them home.

Oct 5th, 2002, 01:03 PM
wondering

I know you love your dog, but wouldn't it be easier and more humane to leave him at home? Unless he/she is a toy dog, you will have to put the dog in a carrier, which goes in the luggage compartment, which is freezing.

Oct 5th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Nancy

Patty,
I also agree with the other pet owners who ask you to leave your pets at home.
We have traveled extensively in the Caribbean, and there are many dogs that are homeless and run free.
These animals do not have shots and worming schedules, and are left to roam free.
If your dogs ran up against one of these and was injured or bitten, you will not find the same level of care you would get at home, and the whole vacation could end in disaster.
Find a relative, a reliable petsitter or kennel to leave your animals in a comfortable setting for them and go enjoy your vacation

Oct 6th, 2002, 03:49 PM
patty

Yes, you are all correct and I have decided that you are right. I will just go without the dog. He is just like a kid and I hate to be without him even for a week. But, he will be happier here and I don't want to risk something happening to him.

Thanks so much for the voice of reasoning.

Patty

Oct 7th, 2002, 11:33 AM
doglover

Patty-I know how you feel about your dog. I hate being away from my dog as well. We went to St. Thomas in June of 2001 and it really isn't a place to take a pet. I'm glad you are going to leave your dog at home. Find a nice kennel that offers lots of activities and comfortable arrangements. Remember the best part of leaving your dog is coming home. Your dog will be all smiles!!! Have a great trip to St. Thomas, its a beautiful island.

Oct 7th, 2002, 11:48 AM
bUdNip

Patty,

I noticed that you are from Georgia.I live in the ATL area and use a service that comes out to my house to care for my dog.This way she can stay in her own environment.I am NW of the city.If you are in that area let me know and I will post the info for the service I use.If not you could ask your vet about a service in your area.