Pelican Bay/Lucaya Reviews Needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to make a quick decision about going to Pelican Bay with my husband and two boys (ages 12 & 16) in July. Considering booking a suite for 7 nights. I would like to hear comments regarding hotel, condition of suites, the hotel continental breakfast, pools, access to other pools (Taino Beach, Our Lucaya?), reasonable and good restaurants, excursions (jeep tour?), marketplace and Freeport market, grocery stores, etc....anything you'd wish to share.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM

mama

While we have not stayed at that hotel we have stayed right across the street at the Lucaya Sheraton/Westin. We had a tour of Pelican Bay and the rooms look very nice. You will have to walk across the street to the beach at Our Lucaya Sheraton/Westin but the beach is public, open to all. The PB is adjacent to the Lucaya Marketplace with many dining options available. We liked the Irish pub a lot, but other places were good as well.

Can not help with grocery stores as we did not do that. We rented a car from Brad's for a couple of days and it was find - remember if you rent that they drive on the left there and the cars are American style with steering wheel on left side so it requires some special care.

One hint - make sure you know up front EXACTLY what your rates include. You will be hit with so called "service charge" per person and some pretty hefty taxes so make sure you know what those are. As an example we paid $12 PER PERSON PER DAY (NOT per room) "service charge" at the Sheraton and then they add the "tax" on top of that - it can make you daily rate get pretty big pretty fast. The resorts there have a habit also of adding automatic "tips" on everything at about 15% too.

There is a fairly active Grand Bahama news group at this link so you can find more info

http://www.geographia.com/cgi-bin2/g...news/discus.pl
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

ttt

Also, where is the best place to purchase items like water/milk near Pelican Bay?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:57 AM

At the market place adjacent there are stores that sell those kinds of items.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Reisender, for your responses. I read somewhere that there was one store in the marketplace where the water/milk/soda was cheaper than at other places...for some reason I remember it being a drug/sundry store. Does anyone know which store I am referring to?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM

As I recall there is a drug store on the corner of the market place that faces the street that you have to cross to go to the Sheraton/Westin complex. It had lots of sodas, milk, etc. It was on the same side of the market as the Dunkin Donut, a cigar shop, etc. I want to say the south side and to the east but I would not guarantee those directions. It should be right near your hotel in fact.