passport

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passport

Now I know that on Jan. 1 2206 everyone leaving the Caribbean will need a passport. My family and I are planning on going to the Caribbean during Christmas. If we left the Caribbean around Dec. 30th/31st, would we be ok to leave without a passport? It just seems too risky. Plus we don't want to have to spend an extra $400 on passports, so do you think we should just consider somewhere else, say Hawaii? Also, does the new passport rule apply to Mexico?
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM
OT

As far as I understand it is not everyone leaving the Caribbean will need a passport, - it is everyone who is re-entering the USA will need a passport from 1 January 2006, this includes US citizens. So yes, as Mexico is not USA territory you will need a passport, and for Hawaii, check with the US immigration authorities.

Theoretically, leaving the Caribbean on the 30/31 December, you should be ok, but if delayed who knows?

Time for you Ameicans to get passport whatever country you visit, like us Europans always have had to have to visit your country.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM

The question of passports comes up frequently ( lately) on this board.

And I'm really not sure I understand the problem.

If you want to travel, without worry, get a passport. Although the initial expense may seem high, isn't peace of mind worth the expense ? Your passport is good for ten years. Pro-rate that cost and I think you'll find it's better than changing a destination and needless worry.

Just my opinion, of course.

Marion
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I feel it is too risky to travel without the pp. As stated it is re-entery, not leaving. Anyway, your travels will be smoother with them. Chances are you will travel again in the next 10 years, you should get them.
Just my 2 cents. Carol
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Hi Marion,
Guess we were typing at the same time! You are right, this questions comes up alot. Same answer, get the passport....
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Hawaii is part of the United States. Unless you are a foreign citizen you shouldn't need a passport for Hawaii. Puerto Rico and USVI are US territories and I think travel to and from is permited without a passport.
A paasport is well worth the expense, especially with what is happening inthe world today. Peace of mind will more than make up for the $400.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Yes beachluver, I guess it was one of those *great minds* moments.

I was trying to be polite ;-)...but it really is one of those *DUH* questions.

So much for my attempt at being polite.

Back in the 50's there was a popular TV show called "Have Gun Will Travel"....but in today's world, leave the gun, scissors, knitting needles and other threatening items at home and bring your passport.

Marion
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:59 PM

I got my first passport when I was 26, more than 30 years ago, for a trip to South America. i was so thrilled to have that document, asking that the bearer of this passport be treated well. It was so "international".Nowadays, of course, kids travel outside the U.S. all the time. I don't want to do the math, but probably costs 2 cents a day?
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:14 PM

You should get the passports and that will be one of each person's Christmas presents. It can be a gift that keeps giving for 10 years. If you're well-heeled enough to spend Christmas in the Caribbean, what's another $400?
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:31 PM
OT

The Passport Issue is a question that is popping up on various travel forum these days. And it amuses me and sometime it annoys me. It seems to me that some USA citizens (not all my friends!) thinks that because they are USA citizens they are above anyone else and "why should we have a passport, we are Americans?" and have been able to travel to NON-American islands in the Caribbean with only a birth certificate and drivers licence. (i.e. my British husband has to show passport in Anguilla, whilst the American in from waives his birth certificate)

I am Norwegian, and until quite recently I had to have a VISA to get into the USA. US citizens did not require a Visa to get into my country (unfair right?). Once on changing planes in San Juan, my son and I was kept in a special room for 3 hours, as the Immigration claimed we had to have a Visa whilst in International Transit.
Thankfully, we are now part of the Visa Waiver Programme.

Last month I travelled to the USA, my passport was valid to December 2009, BUT the new US laws said that passport had to be Machine Readable, mine was not, so I had to pay $180 for a new one. Did I complain? No! On entry to the USA I was photographed and fingerprinted. Did I complain? No!

In New York, we walked past the 9/11 site and also stopped at the temporay memorial site in Battery Park. A poignant reminder why the Immigration Authorities are tightening up Border Controls.

In October this year another type of passport is being introduced, which will be Bio Metric, so I may have to get another passport, and spend another $180.

If you want to travel internationally a valid Passport is the only document which is safe. If you don't want to spend the money, stay at home and miss out on the world.

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:41 AM

One thing confuses me dancingqueen.... in order to avoid paying $400 for passports you would consider changing your destination to Hawaii

Depending on where you're traveling from changing your family's destination from the Caribbean to Hawaii will likely increase your costs more than $400 and you STILL won't have passports. Without them your destinations are limited to the US. Why not just get the passports and have the whole world open to you. I'll be honest, the overall resistance to getting passports baffles me.
Have fun whatever you decide to do!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM

I just went to the "US Dept of State" web site and found the following:

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2005 – Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.
December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Also states the the charge for an adult is $97.00. under 16 $82.00.

Also, remember that these are the US requirements to get back into the states and that every country has different policies. Make sure that you have what is necessart to get into the country you are visiting. This information should be gotten from the an offical country source. I heard from my travel agent the other day that some Caribbean destinations are requiring passports but have not yet informed travel agents or airlines. He had clients that learned the hard way. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Mermaid, you took the words right out of my mouth. I cannot imagine a trip to Hawaii being less expensive than most Caribbean vacations.

With the time you you have available you dont need to use any type of expidited service or any 3rd party service to get passports. and like others have mentioned, they're good for 10 years.

Get the family down to Wal Mart and get some photos taken. You're already online so get to the paperwork started. Well worth it.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Passport = security?! Come on. Its a waste of money and a shame that my husband and I even have to bother spending the money from now on. I have traveled to many countries with nothing more than a original birth certificate and state license, even married in the Bahamas without a passport and never had a problem. I re-entered the US this past May via Puerto Vallarta, and US customs barely glanced at our birth certs/licenses, just stamped our immagration papers and off we go. Too bad we have to pay for that now.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I have to agree with Marion about this. I am not sure why there is so much debate about this. Bottom line, if you want to travel after the end of 2005, you need one. I have always had a passport and have never thought twice about it. If you don't want to spend the money to get one then you will have to stay home.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Dancingqueen: you think you can chime in after stirring up so much response? I think the majority of us cannot fathom what the big deal is. After Sept. 11th, after all of our border security issues? Isn't this the least we can do as citizens to assist in tighter protocal?
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:28 AM

OT: I think almost everyone here agrees that a passport is the only way to go but I think we can do without your rants about the US, Americans etc. You seem a little bitter. I feel bad for you if you had hard time regarding your coming into the US, but you have to understand that Norway and the US are quite a bit different when it comes to being "targets" for undesireables. So please, spare us your angst.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM

To texthejhawk:

Not that OT needs any defense, but I find it odd that your first post on this board is to attack a well-travelled lady who contributes much here and on various other travel boards.

I think if you reread her post with less personal agenda, you will see that she was responding to what, IMO, is a lot of American whining.

I think the "angst" just might be yours.

Tuxedocat: I absolutely agree with you. The OP seems to have disappeared, and left, in her wake, lots of negativity as evidenced by this post of mine.

Marion
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:07 PM

To marion:

From reading some of your previous posts on other threads, it seems to me that most of your posts are chock full of negativity so lets not blame other for doing so! Since you are the self-appointed thread police here, I will simply apologize for not knowing that there were subject limitations on one's "first post" and reiterate that this was my opinion. I'm terribly sorry of you don't like or agree with my opinion or that of others, but isn't that kind of the point of forums such as these? ... to share information and opinions? I think it can be done without generalizations that criticize nations, citizens of certain nations or the fact that someone felt that they received poor service.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 10:02 PM

hey Troll!

Ooops, Sorry I meant to talk to 'texthejhawk'

What posts are you reading? Marion is the least negative person on this forum and has valuable information to share - unlike you!

Do you have anything positive to share?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -